1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masons

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by lgpruitt, Jun 19, 2006.

1. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Can someone please clarify the "Masons" for me? I'm not sure this topic belongs here and if it needs to be moved...please do so. My grandfather was a mason, my grandmother as eastern star, and my father a mason. I know little of them. I do know some churches won't allow someone to be a mason and be a member of that church.
    Anyone? can you explain this to me?
    Thanks!:type:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I've been studying this topic and so far it appears some of the Masonic lodges went off the deep end. They appear to be biblical however there are parts of the lodge that clearly are not.

It's a shame because I believe some of the people mean well but didn't study enough to know the truth. I have Mason friends, once I know more I plan to approach them with knowledge.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It seems like we had a thread on this a few weeks ago. Also, we've had several discussions on it in the past, especially in the non-baptist section. You might want to do a search.

Freemasonry claims it is not religious, but it is. They try to appear Christian in the US but they appear pro-Islamic in Islamic countries by putting a Koran out as the "sacred scripture."

In the first degree, you have to say you are coming out of darkness into light. How can a Christian say this?

Here are some Christian sites of ex-masons to look at:
    http://www.emfj.org/

http://www.ephesians5-11.org/

http://www.fish4masons.org/home.html

Info on Freemasonry from John Ankerberg:
    http://johnankerberg.com/Articles/apologetics/AP0301W4.htm

http://johnankerberg.com/Articles/apologetics/AP0401W4.htm

Info from So. Baptist Interfaith Witness Dept.
    http://www.namb.net/atf/cf/{CDA250E8-8866-4236-9A0C-C646DE153446}/Closer_Look_Freemasonry.pdf

http://www.namb.net/atf/cf/{CDA250E8-8866-4236-9A0C-C646DE153446}/Compar_Chrt_Freemasonary.pdf

4. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Thanks. I wasn't on a few weeks ago when it was discussed but I'll see what I can find. Once school was out I have avoided the computer.....but now I'm back!!

My cousin was a 32nd degree.....wonder what all that involved? I was a rainbow girl at one time at a young age. It held nothing for me so I quit.(after less than a year in it)

:Fish:

5. IronWill

IronWill New Member

I happen to have a book...a book that is printed and published and given only to members of the Masons. More specifically, this is the Scottish Rite of FreeMasonry. I've started reading through it...it's very...interesting. I would not get involved in it ever, due to what I'm reading. The Book I have is "The Morals and Dogma of the Scottish Rite of Freemasons." The book says that it is an explanation of the philosophy and doctrine of Freemasons. It talks alot about false gods in there, but seems to give these false gods some sort of status as gods. It's rather heady reading.

6. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I looked up that book Ironwill mentioned, and with a little web searching you can retain a copy for yourself. According to Wikipedia:

"The book used to be given to everyone entering the Scottish Rite in the Southern Jurisdiction. Eventually it was deemed "too advanced to be helpful to the new Scottish Rite member" , so it was replaced, initially by Clausen's Commentaries On Morals and Dogma, written by Henry C. Clausen, 33°, Sovereign Grand Commander, and then with A Bridge To Light, by Dr. Rex Hutchens, 33°, G.'.C.', which is the book a new initiate into the Scottish Rite in the Southern Jurisdiction receives today."

I also came across this forum where masons were espousing the how great it would be for all mason naysayers to read the "Morals and Dogma"

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread161156/pg1

Might be a good read to get "the other side" of the argument.

7. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Really don't think the book would help their side of the argument much. *smirks* It's riddled with references to false gods as being deity, claims that Moses created Kaballah, and says the the Sun is the image of the Masculine god and the Moon the feminine.

8. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I would like to get it, just so I could speak with some authority on the subject, instead of just what I have heard. But I have problems finding time to read the books I already have! :(

Is the Rotary club part of the Masons?

9. IronWill

IronWill New Member

It's an interesting book, but it's like a theological and philosophical treatise. It is taking quite some time to get through. I can't get my head around all that they believe because there is some doublespeak in there.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Is this the commandment they would be violating?

[3] Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    [4] Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That would be the one. Based on what I've read, the "God" Masons talk about is clearly not the God of the Bible. He is a universal God of all religions.

I also have some Masonry and Rainbow books given to me. They have very subtle teachings that are giving a salvation by works, but it all sounds so good because they talk about moral purity, kindness, etc. (particularly in the Rainbow stuff).

12. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Marcia the masons are very good at making their "salvation by works" doctrine appealing. I should know, I was a member of several masonic organizations for over twenty years, before I could no longer reconcile their beliefs with the Gospel.

13. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I think I've seen this book at my father's house. He is deceased but I bet I can get it the next time I go home to see my mother. I never knew what it was.....:praise:

14. Soulman

Soulman New Member

:praying: My dad has been a Mason his whole life. I don't know alot about them other than their doctrine is very similar to Mormonisim. :Fish:

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Not so much similar doctrine as similar (if not exact) ritual and symbology. This is because Joseph Smith and several of his close followers were Masons. Joseph Smith eventualy was kicked out of the Masons for giving away secerets. To this day Masons do not like Mormons. The doctrine is very different, only the rituals and symbols are the same.

Look at the symbols on the LDS tempel and the ones used for Masons. They are the same. Both use temple clothes with a lambskin aporen and other similar clothing and most of the LDS temple ceramony is directly stolen from the Masons.

When I was young a friend was a demolea (sp?) and wanted me to join. His dad was a big shot in the masons. I was told that any religion could join, except LDS and if I wanted to Join I would have to renounce my LDS membership in a public Masonic ceramony.

I guess being involved in one false religion was enough for me because I stayed Mormon and did not join the Masons.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

PS. It is said (at least by the Masons) that it was the Masons that killed Joseph Smith out side of the jail in Missouri.

17. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I wish I still had my rainbow book given to me. I was in it at about age 14 and it just didn't hold my interest. We all wore long white dresses and there was so much ritual. It was boring to me....so I quit! (thankfully!)

18. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I'm guessing you're not Mormon now. Baptist? And how did you go from Mormonism to being Baptist?:Fish:

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

No the Lord saved me out of Mormonisem 13 years ago. I was working a graveyard shift with one other guy locked in a store.

I had been thinking about marrying my girlfriend (now my wife) but she wanted to be married in the temple. Her family was strong LDS. I started to get back into going to LDS church and reading the book of mormon and D&C. I ran into some contradictions but was trying to be a good mormon.

One night my coworker asked some question about religion and I (assuming he was LDS it is Utah after all) started to talk to him. Over course of the next month he lead me down the roman roads and did a pretty good job answering my questions and objections.

I started to go to a little Baptist chruch with him and was saved and baptised there. That started problems with my girlfriend (wife now) and her family.

We were married anyway (I know, shouldent have) in a Baptist church causing more problems with her family. A couple years later my wife was saved partly because how her family acted convinced her to take a closer look at the LDS religion.

Now we both thank the Lord for rescuing us from that church. I still have most of my family, all of her family and most of my friends and coworkers in the LDS church. I pray they will be lead out.

20. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am also very gratefull for my coworker and now friend who was obediant and had the courage to witness to me and tell me about the gospel. If he would not have been obediant I may have ended up married in the temple and raising my kids LDS right now.

I had never even heard of "Baptists" before he witnessed to me, did not know there was such a church with that name. That is how far I had to catch up. Witnessing to me was a big job.

#20 DeeJay, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006