1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masters Divinity School

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Robert, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

A couple of observations:

1. I am grateful that this discussion can be made with agreeable disagreement without anyone getting personal and flaming others. Thanks.

2. After almost 30 years in the ministry (I'm not as old at Rhet or UZThD! :) ), I'm unconvinced about the usefulness of most of the "practical" courses I've had in seminary. Leadership courses, personal evangelism, curriculum development, and such were not much help. I can acquire that information by reading and talking with experienced ministers. I wish I had had more courses in Greek and Hebrew exegesis. I think I would be as well off had I had a BA in Bible, an MA, and a PhD.

3. (OK, three is more than a couple) I agree with Rhet. Some of us are educated beyond our intelligence!

Rhet (and anyone else for that matter), if you ever come through SC down I-26, I'm only about three miles off the interstate. Drop in and we'll have a meal together.

Blessings,
    Bill

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill

I won't bite hard on that - just because you did not learn what you could have learned from your practical professors, I won't say that I did not learn from my more academic professors.

But, it is much easier for me to teach myself Greek, Hebrew, or read Calvin's Institutes than it is for me to learn the intricacies of ministry by reading a book. It is much easier for me to teach myself theology by reading a book than it is to teach myself how to counsel a married couple by reading a book.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hi Wayne,

Just a point: I didn't say that I didn't "learn" from my profs of practical courses. I just didn't find them that useful. Maybe we have different ways of learning. I prefered the more direct instruction in the academic areas to make sure I was not misunderstanding something in light of the overall area being presented, such as taking something out of context.

In matters of counseling, for instance, I prefer to read books and continue to learn as I counsel. The same goes with personal evangelism and other practical areas.

That said, I think we agree that seminary training is merely foundational training to our continued education beyond the walls of the seminary. It is sad when pastors fail to continue their personal and ministerial growth past graduation.

Bill

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

#64 UZThD, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill,

I do respect my difference from you. Without differences, It would almost be as if God would be reaching the same people twice . . . if that were the case, my being here would be a waste. ;)

I do learn differently. I finally had a professor (in that other degree program) have us do a learning styles assessment. The purpose was to show us how to assess user (learner) needs. I was stunned to learn that some people learn almost nothing by reading. But, if that same person is a truly tactile learner, they can learn to play a piano very quickly.

I am actually a 'rounded' learner. Unfortunately, that means that most learning is 'work' for me. I can learn to play piano, but it is WORK. I can digest Calvin's Institutes & Augustine's Confessions, but that is work (altho' it is lower case work for me). I read 20 theology texts before seminary*, but that was work. Sometimes, I wish that I had read Calvin sooner, I would have finished him.

* And I read 6 greek grammers and part of the GNT before seminary.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill (UZThD),

I mostly agree with your position. I would not want praxis loaded on those that do not need praxis. Although, I do want everyone to be out and doing ministry while they are in seminary and afterwards.

Wayne

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep it up--you are well on your way to being an excellent linguist. Ever think about the mission field? Plenty of room out here in Asia. :thumbs:

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read the whole discussion. Fascinating! Good posts by everyone, good Christian demeanor by everyone. :thumbs:

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MDiv vs MA for Grad PhD/ThD Work

To all who have an ear:

It seems that this thread has "morphed" like so many of the others do from time to time.

I have been (and probably still am on some level) a very strong proponent of the MDiv programs (considering that I have a near equivalent of 2 MDivs). And I tend, as old men do, to change very very slowly.

Having said all that allow me to add: It would be hard for me; if I were doing the hiring at an RA or ATS seminary, and with my SBC traditional background to hire someone who was not "trained as a minister." That is to say, someone who would have to have an MDiv degree, an earned and terminal doctorate (including the DMin) also from an RA & ATS school, and who has demonstrated some level of expertise in their academic field.

Now, before I get those "cards and letters coming in;" I truly know that all of biases and snobbery is showing. Please forgive!

Having said all of that, and having defended the MDiv track into doctoral studies; I will make a minor concession that maybe, just maybe, there may be room for some who only have the MA/PhD-ThD route into the ecclesiastical academy.

I hope my thoughts are germane to the discussion at hand and not just the rantings and ravings of an "old man!?"

Please RSVP in kindness and insight. HA!:laugh:

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

#69 Rhetorician, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006