1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masters in Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Brice, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

Broadus,

That's a good question. My goal is to pursue multiple seminary degrees. I would like to start by teaching in a Christian day school setting, but be able to use it in other facets. I would like to be able to teach adjunct at a Christian college or pursue higher education full time in the future.

Rhet,

Thanks for the direction. You see the problem I've come across is direction (educationally speaking). I would like to pursue multiple degrees and would like to have options. You are probably right about pursuing a MRE because it will possibly get me stuck.

To Broadus and Rhet (and anyone else with some good advice)-

What route would be the best if I would like to continue my education and work in Christian education, while still keeping doors open to the college level as well as the pastorate?

My deadlines (for applications etc.) are soon approaching and I would like to start seminary by next fall, so I would like to make some definitive decisions soon (within the next 3 – 4 months. Thanks for the answers and help.

2. Brice

Brice New Member

Paid,

You seem like you've got some experience in this area also, so feel free to throw some advice out there. Thanks again everyone.

3. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey Brice

I like Trinity College and Seminary (Newburg IN). You can complete your work via distance learning or participate in one day seminars at Newburgh. I've done both. Trinity becomes fully accredited Jan 2006. So you can put your degree next to Vanderbilt Divinity, any State University, any Baptist Seminary, etc.

I hope to graduate this December 2005 with Ph.D. in theology. Check out their website at: http://www.trinitysem.edu/index2.html

Lloyd

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

You can also Check our SWBTS in Ft Worth - they have a very good program and have several different concentrations you can choose from. Foundations, childhood, Christian School administraton, youth, church administration etc

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

IMHO, teaching is a calling and a gift. Not everyone can teach regardless of education and training. I have several friends with master's degrees in education who failed in teaching and I know many people with degrees in education who are not teaching. More schooling is not the answer. My standard recommendation is for every teacher to try it before pursuing a master's in education. A year of teaching will tell you if you are cut out for it. The first year teaching is an eye-opener. You'll love it or hate it. So, my thinking is that you ought not invest the time and money in a master's until you know it works for you.

Concerning a Christian school, I recommend that you research it carefully before accepting a position. All Christian schools are not created equal. Find one in agreement with your theology and standards. Like the good ole boy thing, don't accept the job just because the Pastor meets you, shakes your hand and calls you brother. Ask thoughtful and penetrating questions. Stability is one VIP key. Look for financial stability (You want to get paid!), faulty retention (Why would teachers leave if they are satisfied?), a stable student population (Why would students leave a great school?), etc. Ask about membership in associations. What curriculum do they use? What type of testing program do they administer and what are their test scores? If you get a brush-off with these questions, then I would look elsewhere. BTW, look at the questions they ask you and observe how well they follow up on your references. If they pass you with a nod without checking you out, then you can be assured they haven't checked out your future colleagues. I always appreciate a good, rigorous grilling. I know their standards are high and they don't operate on a handshake.

6. Brice

Brice New Member

Paid,

This is a good point. My goal is to continue my education, but it might suit me well to get some experience and then close in on my goals after that.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

The Southern Baptist Seminary has a Master's degree in Christian School education or administration or such. It is the only degree by an SBC school or seminary that I know that would help someone in the context of the Christian School as an administrator.

Check it out!

sdg!

rd

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

I had an old, 2003-2004? Southern catalogue, and it had a 40 something hr Master's for Christian School administrators. I could not find it on the web page. They may have dropped it. It would be worth seeing about.

They do, however, have a 48 hr Master of Theological Studies/MTS. It is generally for ones who are not going into the pastoral/ordained ministries. Some other good schools like Beeson @ Samford, Vanderbilt, etc. also have it. It does range however from 48 to 60+ hrs. But if you got it from Southern or some other major university, your time would be well spent and you could certainly build on it later. Many, I have noticed, are doing it as a pre-reg to PhD studies. You could certainly use it for the EdD at a university. I would ask where one could go with it.

It is really a tough degree but the time/effort would be worth what you spent.

sdg!

rd

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

I just now spoke to them in the office at Southern. They no longer have the Master's in School Admin. b/c the enrollment for that degree was down.

The MTS might be the best "all around" degree for you. But, again, when you step into the seminary world it may exclude you from the university world and vice versa. Also, the MTS is not the "MA" which is the standard university degree. There is a certain tension involved. If you had any idea what you wanted to do long-term it might help you stay on track and avoid doing double work. I for one did an MA at a religious/denominational university. That gets you the best of both worlds.

Make sure if you do a seminary degree it is an "MA" in this or that and you my have the option of going to the university later.

I am praying for you as I type this. I hope it helps!?

sdg!

rd

10. Brice

Brice New Member

Thanks for the prayers. I really do appreaciate everyone taking time off to give some insight. The MTS sounds great and something to consider strongly. I would like a degree that leaves my doors open at this point and that seems to be a practical degree to have (I will definetly look into it). I don't mind being in the seminary "world", actually that's exactly what I want. I love theological studies, but would like to put them to use in a practical way. I also have a passion for the generation younger then I. My first year of seminary (next fall) I plan on teaching at a local christian school or working with youth. I pray that whatever capacity I am in, I will be a blessing. I find that your ministry can change over the years and I assume mine might also. Almost like a natural progression, but with the leading of God. Quick Questions - With the MTS, is this a degree that would be beneficial for the pastorate? or would I be locking myself out of the pastorate? I would like to possibly teach at the Christian college level, will this still be possible (with a Phd)?

Thanks again. [​IMG]

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hi Brice,

I would be hesitant about the Master of Theological Studies degree. As Rhetorician pointed out, it is not designed for those entering the vocational ministry. Too, I'm not sure it will progress your theological understanding much considering your Liberty background.

Also, I think it would be difficult, though not impossible, to begin seminary studies (MDiv?) while teaching, especially first-year teaching. Everything in the classroom which you do will be new and will take a lot of time outside of the classroom. In addition, your seminary studies will require a great deal of time, even if you take only a couple of courses a semester.

Prayer for clarity of mind in your vocational direction is a must. If you're unsure, perhaps teach for a year, as Paid suggested, to see if that is what God has equipped you to do. Also, you could do a course or two of theological studies by way of DE. You may even teach for a few years while pursuing seminary studies by DE.

I was a Christian school teacher and in bi-vocational ministry for about 10 years, enjoying both worlds. You'll come to the place, I suspect, where you will need to give your full attention to one or the other. At least I did.

Blessings,
    Bill

12. Brice

Brice New Member

Thanks Broadus. The good news is I still have a little bit of time to decide. Actually taking a year to just work might be a good idea. I will have to put a lot of prayer into it, but I will surely take the information I got here and apply it.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right. Every master's in education program everywhere I have attended does not compare to what we learned in Industrial Technology. The program in IT was much tougher than the one in education.

The RE program at SWBTS was very poor. I learned more at the undergradute shcool I attended than the masters students received. I have been in education in industrial technology for years.

At the university I attended I had Don Maas for some classes and a few others who were great. Don Maas had studied under Hunter who was leading education at the time. Maas was a first class professor.