1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maternity and Paternity Leave

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a company be required by law to provide PAID M & P leave?

For companies who voluntairly provide PAID M & P leave - is that fair to workers who do not have children?

Click here for link

Thoughts

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Just judging by the other articles featured on the same page, I'd say this website is a shill, not for moms and dads, but for the liberal agenda. Just at a glance you can see an anti-hunting article, the godless Brangelina family at home "praying" (to whom?), and this pap. Contrary to the nonsense in the article, I can't think of a single major company that doesns't have maternity and paternity leave, and a lot of small companies here in Kansas City offer them, too, including for adoptions. They don't need their respective states telling them they have to offer M&P Leave, they already provide it. California and New Jersey are liberal bastions where life is legislated, not lived.

As to the question, the issue of fairness has nothing to do with it. Singles normally don't have kids, and the companies I know that have M&P Leave give it to singles when the do have kids. Why should singles get something like M&P Leave when they don't need it for it's stated purpose?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never mentioned Singles - Married couples may decide not to have kids.

Lets take this a step further, suppose a couple end up having 7 or 8 kids - say over a 15 year period - thats an awful of PAID leave being given. Is that fair to someone who has no children.

The company I work for simply has PTO - Paid Time OFF - they lump annual leave, sick leave, ect - use your authorized time any way you see fit.

If I was an employer - that is how I would do it.

Salty

Disclamer - I believer a business owner should be able to have any agreement they want with employees - but I sure wouldnt be a happy camper.