1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Math curriculum

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by abcgrad94, Jun 24, 2008.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone here tried Math you see? My sister-in-law was telling me about it. She said it uses common every day objects you teach with. I'd like a more "hands on" approach or math curriculum on the computer for my oldest daughter. Any suggestions?

2. Julie

Julie New Member

I haven't tried it, but I do know of what is supposed to be a great math curriculum and it's on the computer. It's called Teaching Textbooks. Here is a link to their site: http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/
    Also, here's the link to a site with curriculum reviews for almost every different type of curriculum out there by homeschoolers who have actually used the curriculum:
    http://homeschoolreviews.com/
    They have reviews for the curriculum you mentioned as well as the one I was talking about, plus a lot more.
    I hope this helps.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the links, Julie. I'll check them out!

4. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I dn't have kids but outdated coupons, and toy money can be used to teach a child frations, percentanges, aand a child who cannot add 225+675 can use toy money to help him or her understand how to add. Coupons worth 20 cents, 10 cents or 5 cents can be used to teach a hild how to count by fives or tens or twenties.
    Faithgirl

5. sjeff1

sjeff1 New Member

No doubt about it, everybody learns differently. You really need to work to find exactly what curriculum works for your son or daughter. We have one who absolutely needs to see/feel a real world application. The other one is perfectly content learning rules and performing routine manipulations with numbers. Don't get discouraged if you don't pick the perfect one that first time and don't hesitate changing if it's not working!

Just MHO!

6. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Math-u-see

We use Math-u-see with our two boys. They both love it. Our oldest is in the fourth grade and our youngest just started Kindergarten. It really focuses on mastery, really knowing their facts. You would make sure that your child knows how to add AND their addition facts, not just adding, before moving on to subtraction. They also like that I got them the blocks to use because it really helps them to see what they are adding. I just like the way that it is explained. We really like it. If you go to their website http://www.mathusee.com then you can get a demo for free where he is teaching and you can see how he does it. That really helped me to make a decision. Hope this helps. :)

7. sjeff1

sjeff1 New Member

Thanks for the tip on mathusee. We'll check that out as well.