1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew 17:21?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by InTheLight, Nov 5, 2012.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus heals a demon possessed boy.

KJV:
    21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

NIV

NKJV
    21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”[e]

[e]NU-Text omits this verse.

My Pilgrim study bible (KJV) has a footnote: "The earliest manuscripts do not include this verse."

Was this verse added to the manuscripts used to form the KJV at some point?

[MODS: Could one of you move this to the Bible Translations area? I accidentally posted it here.]

#1 InTheLight, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Dear InTheLight,

May I suggest you begin by clicking on this link to download an article I am writing? There you will find my discussion of this particular variation on pages 21-25 in the context of orthodox corruptions of Scripture. Now the orthodox were not as powerful or organized as some like to allege. They could alter the text of their own manuscripts here and there and influence others to do so, but they could not force every church everywhere in the world in the 2d century to do their bidding (and how could they?). Keep in mind, moreover, that all of these countless churches were making copies of their own manuscripts that had been handed down to them and in turn were handing them down to others as Christianity spread rapidly. You will also find the complete collation data of every known Greek manuscript on pages 48-52.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, that's quite a study you've undertaken.