1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew 18:19, Why two?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalm40.17, Jan 10, 2006.

1. psalm40.17

psalm40.17 New Member

(KJV)

Why do two need to agree upon it?

2. standingfirminChrist

Because Jesus said so!

3. psalm40.17

psalm40.17 New Member

Well obviously ! [​IMG]

4. mnw

mnw New Member

I think it may be to emphasise the necessity of unity by God's children. There is always unity when I am on my own, it's just when I get around others there are problems. [​IMG]

A brief glance at any Christian forum will show how drastically we failed that measure of unity.

MNW

5. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

This passage is in the context of church discipline and the calling of witnesses.

Read back to v. 15.

One witness should be ignored.

Two or more are to be heeded and action taken according to the word of God.

This principle dates back to the O.T.

MR

6. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

{I had to break for supper.}

Here are some of the O.T. references.

Num 35:30 Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be slain at the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person that he die.

Deu 17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is to die be put to death; at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deu 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall a matter be established.

As you can see, Matthew 18:5-19 simple aheres to an Old Testament principle.

Note Mat 18:15 And if thy brother sin against thee, go, show him his fault between thee and him alone: if he hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
    Mat 18:16 But if he hear thee not, take with thee one or two more, that at the mouth of two witnesses or three every word may be established.

It would be prudent though to remember that this number of witnesses does not guarantee truth in all cases if you recall the false witnesses brought against Jesus when the Sanhedrin followed this edict.

It is simple to reduce the likelyhood of a lone person with a vendetta.

I hope this helps.

MR

7. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I like "because Jesus said so," and I also like this comment:

"A brief glance at any Christian forum will show how drastically we failed that measure of unity"

Notice that the writer said "a brief glance". It is so true. So much of what I see (underline I) in forums across the internet is lack of unity among those who profess Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. The reason (and the answer) is simple. Enough said.

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

If you wish to understand a passage where Jesus tells two brothers to testify against another as speaking about unity...

Well, whatever.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

MR

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

(KJV)

Why do two need to agree upon it?
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is (was) applicable only to those Jesus was talking to. They could ask and it would be done – John 14:13; Mark 16:15-20. That gospel is not our gospel. Who today can ask, and every time, the request is granted, or 50%; 20%, 10, 5?

Today we ask, and if it is His Will, it will be done. I have seen so many disappointed, and disgruntled Christians, and some who thought they were Christians, turn from Him when they asked, and it did not happen. That is the “kingdom gospel”, the kingdom that was at hand, and at Pentecost the Apostles asked, and it was given them for that kingdom still had a chance, with the fertilization of the Holy Ghost. The earthly Apostles, and Paul all had the abundance of powers, where others had A power, or perhaps two.

That was then when two or three gathered. But that Power was withdrawn. Israel failed to respond, so Paul was given great power also to get the Word to the Gentile for they would hear - Acts 28:28. That power was also withdrawn from Paul for the Gentile would hear, and did not require a sign, as did the Jew. We heathen were never promised anything, but so very many of us are so grateful to God for His grace, that through the faith of Jesus Christ, we accept the free gift God offers to us. Could we ask for anything more?

Today we are in the Body of Christ, and that makes two, and the Holy Spirit also makes intercession for us making three, as we go to the Father. His will be done. Christian faith, ituttut