1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew 27: 52-53

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by CYBERDOVE, Mar 4, 2005.

1. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

verse 52, " And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, " verse 53," And came out of the graves after HIS resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many".-------- First I want to say Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, I am new here. However I am at a loss with these two passages!. Please can someone help me here?. Did they wake up and waited till CHRIST was resurrected, what was the purpose, I mean what did they do?. There seems to be no explaination on this event, what does it mean?. :confused: ----Help------yours in CHRIST [​IMG]

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes this has been discussed before.

There was speculation but no definitive answers from Scripture.

HankD

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

The imagery is great! Certainly there are echoes of Ezekiel 37 and perhaps 1 Enoch 91.

I assume you're speaking of the fact that the holy ones are said to go into the city AFTER "His resurrection".

Commentators have differing views. Raymond Brown and Donald Hagner think that the best way to see this is that the saints did not enter the city to be visible until Jesus arose. Some (like Robert Gundry) think that they did not arise from the tombs until Sunday (thoguh they were alive on Friday).

Davies and Allison suggest the the clause "after His resurrection" is an early gloss (addition to the text) - likely so that it does not conflict with Colossians 1:18 (firstborn of the dead). They note that while this phrase in present in nearly all the NT manuscripts in Greek it is absent from the Diatesseron and some later Aramaic writings.

Yep, no definite answer!

[​IMG]

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In my opinion the passage simply means that after the resurrection of Jesus Christ the graves were opened and the dead came out of their graves. There is no reason to insist that the event is to be interpreted in a strict chronological manner.

Furthermore, I believe that these bodies were not glorified resurrection bodies but re-entered the graves to await the general resurrection.

5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I believe this passage speaks of the Old Testament saints were risen and follow Jesus Christ from Abraham's bosom according to Eph. 4:8-9. Also, when Christ was on the cross, the thief on the cross, told Christ to remember him. Christ told to the thief, he promised, that he(thief) shall be with Christ in the paradise today. Obivously, when Christ died on that day, both thief and Christ went to Abraham's bosom. Then, Christ risen, all the graves open, all O.T. saints risen, and went to heaven with Christ.

Do all O.T. saints already have new body? I am not sure. But, I do not worry what happened to all O.T. saints. God already care all O.T. saints. No doubt, I am sure that all O.T. saints are now in the heaven with the Lord.

What we are focus on in our present age - New Testament period. There shall be physical resurrection of the saints by follow at Christ's coming - 1 Thess. 4:15-17. We are looking forward for it, but, not just for resurrection only, also, we are looking forward for new glorified body while we are alive and remain shall be quickly changed into immortlaity, never taste of death at Christ's coming.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

6. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Thank you everyone for shedding some light on this subject, I reslly do appreciate it! I am very glad to have found the B.B. [​IMG] ------in CHRIST [​IMG]