1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew Whalen

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 24, 2009.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,566182,00.html

For those of you who may not have heard about this story Matthew Whalen is a high school senior in Troy NY. He is an Eagle Scout, already accepted by West Point, already completed basic training. He was suspended from school for having a pocketknife locked in his car parked on school property.

A couple great quotes from the article:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont blame the school, how could they reccomend someone to the Army who has a knife

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of these school administrators/teachers are, or the product of, the radical 60's humanoids. (never saw a Marxist revolutionary they didn't like)

Basically the liberal thought is "my way or the highway", and such stupid decisions as this are the result of bleeding-heart liberals who only know "group-think".

Just look at the meltdown of common sense in virtually all areas of government for instance.

Thinking apart from the herd is verboten in liberal-land!!

Is it any wonder the sheeple voted as they did last November???

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Several questions come to mind:
    How did the school discover what was locked up in his car?
    Does the school have science courses which offer disection as a part of study in anatomy of living forms? What kind of instruments are used?
    Does the school have a drafting, shop course, or publishing club or class? Aren't sharp instruments such as exacto knives used in the techniques of copy/paste or other sharps in the learning and application of skills?
    How about home-economics? Are skills such as dicing vegetables or cutting a chicken or setting a table or using pins, needles and sicsors still in use?
    How about the chemistry lab? Do they still teach how to mold lab equipment from glass tubes and beakers...... which requires application of heat from a burner and techniques of pulling or blowing .......and sometimes breakage occurs which creates sharp pieces which could cut or be used to harm?
    How about ink pens and pencils....... these are sharps which would be banned in a jail setting but allowed without a second thought in a normal population?

Since when did we start justifying treating school children as though they are all criminals and generalize upon them the behaviors and motivations of a few unfortunate and lost individuals?

Although it is reasonable for parents to expect that their children are in a safe environment at school..... still, is it really in the interest of parents and children to so overly control both them and the environment that we restrict them from the learning of skills, or developing the control of their own behavior, or development of their decision skills in making choices for themselves which exercise both risks taking and responsibility?

As for the vote of the sheeple......... it looks like we are dumbing down more and more and expecting others to look out for us more and more. What a shame and sorry mess we're in when we lose the ability to think for ourselves and become willing to let others do the thinking and controlling for us!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I carried a Buck knife everyday to school strapped to my belt. Members of the gun club had shotguns in the trunks of their cars. All this on public school property.

What a change in only a couple decades.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, people today find it incomprhensible that government schools did, at one time, actually have gun clubs.

I think such gun clubs in government schools existed when I was still in school, but I don't think we had any around us.

My dad used to tell me all the time about bringing his gun to school so that he could go hunting afterward. Says that was very common.

Not only do my children have guns at school, the school actually supplies guns and knives to them, has trained them in the use of guns and knives, and tells them that it's a wholesome activity that encourages responsibility.

But, of course, that's because they're homeschooled.