1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Max Lucado/pros and cons

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by exscentric, Jul 31, 2005.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have never read anything of his, what are your impressions of his doctrine pro or con? Not so much the fuzzy wuzzy stuff as most current authors fit in there [​IMG]

2. west

west New Member

I read one of his books and really liked it .I have been wanting to read more of his down the road .

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not aware of Max Lucado espousing any of his own doctrine.

I challenge anyone to read "He Chose the Nails" without tearing up.

4. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

To me his stuff is fluff. I don't get anything out of him. To each his own ;)

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let each be convinced in his own mind. What I've read, I like.

But it's not a scriptural issue, so, as you said, to each his own.

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG] He is one of my favorite authors. He has a way with words that really cut to the heart of the matter, a gifted writer. You might need a box of kleenex beside you before you start to read one of his books though. :cool:

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think Lucado is one of the finest ministers alive today.

8. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Pros -- Lucado is easy to read

Cons -- Lucado is easy to read

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I am a heavy (NOT my own weight) expository preacher, with lots of depth, greek, sentence structure, etc so people know what GOD said and not what Bob sucked out of his thumb, it is NECESSARY for me to have lots of illustrations and stories and application.

Max's writing is RICH with that with a true paucity of doctrine. So I steal (with credit, of course) his illustrations and stories with abandon.

And would encourage folks, for their own devotional reading, to enjoy his works.

10. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Exactly!! That's why I don't like him too much.

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Dr. Bob,

You say, "Since I am a heavy (NOT my own weight) expository preacher," like it is a bad thing.

I think ministers who are willing to share that kind of knowledge are precious gifts from God.

12. Rachel

Rachel New Member

13. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I've read some of Max's books, he is an excellent author and he bases his writings on Scripture. He shares his life experiences to relate to the topic of his books.

I've loaned my books to others and have recommended Max's books to several people.

14. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

I love Max. I loved the book Just Like Jesus.
    I wanted to go and hear him preach but the Sunday I was in Texas and could go he was not going to be preaching. I would love to hear him.

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Holy Spirit used his book called No Wonder They Call Him Savior to impact my life in a big way.

I would highly recommend it. He Chose the Nails was great, as well. I've read several of his books. Those two are by far and away the best. There are some others that are decent reads, but if you miss them while reading something else it's not a great loss.

I would agree with others that he is a great story teller.

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I've read only one of his books called "It's Not About Me" and I enjoyed it very much.

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of his "Come Thirsty" at the public library. Anyone read this one?

17. Convicted by the Spirit

I read someone say that a con about Lucado would be that he is easy to read ... !?!?! Max some how explains things in everyday language and speaks to people using examples of who they are and what they use daily. His reading level is a bit low I must admit, but that means that more people will read his books because they know they won't walk away after the first chapter wodnering, "what did I just read?"

The first book of his I read was "he chose the nails" and honeslty I was blown away by his ability to allow you to experience what Christ experienced.

18. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Max is a great communicator and the same humble person in person as you see on TV or that bleeds throught in his writing.

19. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

I've read "Next Door Saviour" and it really was a good read. Some may think he's writing to get andemotional response, and there right, but I've always thought that people moved to action best when motivated by the heart. Truth coupled with love and compassion isn't a bad thing. Sometimes we as Baptists forget that. We've let charasmatics scare us away from being "emotional."
    Anyway, I enjoyed his book and look forward to reading him again.

20. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member