1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Max lucado

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor am I suggesting that they should. Again, I use the food analogy: not everyone is a gourmand, but if all you eat is cake and ice cream, you'll get sick and die.

I disagree. I find his books to be only slightly less awful than "The Shack".

I'm not blaspheming the Lord. I feel confident that the Lord knows the difference between somebody blaspheming Him and somebody criticizing a misrepresentation of Him.

2. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The god Lucado presents is not the God of the Bible. They have two vastly different characteristics.

3. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eventually, yes. But how will they grow if they continue to eat junk food?

So are you suggesting that those who are defending Lucado aren't able to handle meat?

In other words, "You're welcome to your opinion, as long as it agrees with me".

I disagree. I believe that his description of God is vastly different than the Bible's description of God.

Probably for the same reason so many of us want to have a contest to see who can defend the worst drivel.

You call it "overly critical", I call it discerning.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the God that Max Lucado believes in - do you?

"God
    There is one true God, eternally existing in three Persons, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. These are equal and are one God. God created the world out of nothing and by his power he sustains all he has created. (Romans 8:22-25; Ephesians 1:13-14)."

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some are just too high and mighty for the rest of us lower Max Lucado reading Christians.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Instead of giving us JohnDeereFan's opinion on the matter, why don't you back it up with some facts? In what ways is his description of God different than the Bible's description?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I admit that I don't know a lot about Max Lucado, but from what I've heard, he is a highly respected man with a solid biblical foundation. Of course, that could all be wrong, but I'm wondering what "his description of God" is. Could you post his description so that we could compare it to the word of God for ourselves? Others have already posted what's on his website, which is biblical, but you seem to know something different from what his website states.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Matt! You beat me to it!

I was typing as you posted. Sorry.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can find no doctrinal error on neither the churches website or his personal web site.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, he describes God as being rather desperate and emotionally troubled, pining away for us. Funny how in Lucado's books, nobody ever sins, they just make "mistakes" and how God is never the Holy and Righteous and Just Sovereign God, but our Big Buddy in the Sky.

I much prefer the God described in the Bible.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've already explained why his description of God is different than the Bible's description. You seem very upset that somebody has a different opinion than you do.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Can you give an example from one of his books?

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yep that was/is a great tag line. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. matt wade

No...I'm not upset at all. In fact, I don't even have an opinion on Lucado. I've never read any of his work and I'm totally unfamiliar with him. I was asking you a question so that I might have a better understanding. I was giving you an opportunity to explain to me the facts of your case, and doing so with an open mind. If you had presented facts to back up your case I may very well have been persuaded to agree with you.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Aw, now you've done it. You've done gone and refuted opinion with evidence.

Confound you! :laugh:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry. Is that a sin? I did it willfully, you know.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. He didn't show anything about the way Lucado portrays God as being pleading or whiney.

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Whose saying that Max Lucado is junk food. I'd like to see chapter and page number of your case for Brother Lucado's heterodoxical beliefs.

I didn't say that. Please don't put words in my keystrokes...;)

No, I think you're wrong about his beliefs and writings.

Citations and references please. Don't hide behind unsubstantiated claims and vagueries. We demand you show proof.

lol...discerning. I've run into my fair share of "discerning" and "concerned" folks. So where, again, did you show us that he has violated the commands of Christ and sullied the name of God the Father...chapter and page number please.

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Look guys (and gals) if JDF does not care for Lucado then so what? Other than some insinuations that Lucado's view of God does not match the bible I see no real attack.

As quoted above JDF used art as an example and like art the appreciation of literature is in the eye of the beholder or reader.

Going back to the original question of the thread I think handing out the books was a great idea and any of you who have never read a Max Lucado book I would encourage you to read one for yourself and then decide.

Lucado is a great story teller and has a great ability to make biblical characters come alive in modern terms. I have never heard him preach but if he can do the same thing with the spoken word he must be amazing to listen to.

But you know, some guys liked Paul, others liked Peter, and others Apollos. If JDF does not like Lucado I am not going to try and change his mind.

20. matt wade

But if someone came along and said that one of those three didn't worship the same God as the others, wouldn't you want some facts to back that up?

This isn't about preference. JDF is making a very big accusation. An accusation that big deserves some facts.