1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maybe it's better to be Judaic?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

been searching for abortion statistics. It seems the newest statistics are 10 years old. There is no new statistics. Why is this.

So based on 1996 here are some statistics.

WORLDWIDE

Number of abortions per year: Approximately 46 Million
    Number of abortions per day: Approximately 126,000
    UNITED STATES

Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)
    Number of abortions per day: Approximately 3,700

Who's having abortions (religion)?

Protestants and Born-again/Evangelical 55.4%

Catholic 31.3%

Jewish 1.3%

No-religious affiliation 23.7%

But then again these are 1996 statistics.

Source: http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

If someone have a link to some newer and verifiable statistics, please share.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure this is hardly accurate. You can ask just about anyone if they would consider themselves "born again" or "evengelical" and they would reply yes.

Do you really think it's better to follow judaisim and have less abortions...but spend eternity in Hell?

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

These are percent of people who have abortions. NOT percent of people in a deonomonation. Does that make sense. So %55.4 percent of people having abortions state their affiliation as evangelical. NOT %55 of evangelicals are having abortions.

So you need to find stats on how many people Worldwide state their religion as evangelical, Catholic and Jewish. Then compair the numbers to those.

Not taking the time to look it up I would guess that Catholics are doing the best here. I bet the percent of people worldwide who state religion as Catholic is a very high percent, yet they only have %31. There are very few Jewish people in the world and they have %1.3 here.

So what I am saying is these numbers dont mean that Jewish people are having less abortions. These numbers need to be adjusted per capita % of denomination.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Here you go

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Only .22% of worlds pop states they are Jewish. With %1.3 percent of abortions going to people who state Jewish. Now it does not sound so good.

%33 percent of world state Christian. I will try to find the breakdown of that.

%16 of world pop state non-religious with %23.7 of abortions by people who state non-religious.

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

17.4% of world pop states Catholic with 31.3 percent of people gettion abortion stating Catholic. (I was wrong, that does not sound so good either)

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I can not find world percentages of evangelicals/born again Christans. But I assume it would be somewhere around the percent Christian after Catholic is subtracted %33 - %17 = right around %16

I take the number of people having abortions devide that by the world percent of the particular religion and come out with a number. (I am really bad at math, so if I am doing this wrong let me know.)

It seems like Jewish are 5 times more likely to get abortions then other groups including non-religious. So I think the numbers prove the exact opposet of the title of this thread.

Jewish 1.3/.22=5.9

Non-religious 23.7/16=1.48

Catholic 31.3/17.4=1.79

evangelical/born again 55.4/16=3.4

Now look at other factors like which group is most predomonent in America where most abortions happen. You can see how just looking at statistics and jumping to conclusions is misleading.

I would sugest that instead of judging religions by statistics or even what people claiming to be that religion you just judge a religion by the principals it stands for. And evangelical/born again is a very broad group diverse. I would break that down further into indiviual denomonations.

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Abortion and Homosexuality- the only two sins?

I always get kind of a laugh when Christians well understand the Ten Commandments when it comes to "Thou shalt not Kill" and the Abortion issue but then claim the Ten Commandments no longer stand.

It's as if the only two sins they acknowledge as sins are Abortion and Homosexuality. When it comes to every other sin they claim they are "under grace".

8. Inquiring Mind

1,370,000 abortions a year in the United States

Percentage Amounts are from the United States Only.

Protestants/Born-again/Evangelicals 55% = 758980

Catholics 31.3% = 428810

Jews 1.3% = 17810

Unknown 12% = 164400

United States Numbers

Protestants/Born-again/Evangelicals 758,980 / 73,000,000 = 1.04%

Catholics 428,880 / 50,000,000 = 0.85%

Jews 17,810 / 3,000,000 = 0.5%

Unknown 164,400 / 35,000,00 = 0.4%

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

9. Inquiring Mind

Again from: http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

WORLDWIDE
    Number of abortions per year: Approximately 46 Million

UNITED STATES
    Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)

ONLY 3% Abortions occur in the United States.

Where abortions occur:

78% of all abortions are obtained in developing countries and 22% occur in developed countries.

We are not too bad

3rd World Countries 78% (This indicates that abortion is an acceptable form of Birth Control and Population Control )
    U.S.A. 3%
    Rest of the world 19%

10. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

One thing for sure. Vote Democrat, get wholesale abortion, experimentation with aborted fetuses (stem cell research), same-sex marriage ~~ it is a long list of immoral objectives. The last one will certainly slow down the need for an abortion, if practiced widely enough. Isn't living in the good ole USA wonderful?

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I have never heard anybody say that the Ten Commandments do not stand. Certenly there are a multitude of sins. And all ALL sins are under grace for a believer. However killing babies is an especaly henous sin.

What you said is kind of like if I said

Why does the news only cover school shootings and never reports on J walking. They must think that shooting kids in schools is the only crime on the law books.

I will break it down for you. Coveting your neighbors donkey is certanly a sin and God is conserned with all sin. But I am personaly more horrified with people who calously murder babies. I personaly do not believe that a believer in Christ could have their unborn baby murdered. But that is just me.

12. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Well guess murdering babies is a funny subject. :BangHead: