1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain’s faith: Pastor describes senator as devout, but low-key

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 777, Apr 10, 2008.

1. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rest: link

This sounds like a great church, wonder why they haven't joined up yet?

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The article didn't say that they haven't joined. My guess is that Cindy is a member and McCain goes to church with her. Also I would guess that McCain hasn't joined because he doesn't want to be rebaptized. I have seen a number of instances like this where someone attends regularly and is active in the church but won't join because they were not willing to renounce their earlier baptism, or somehow admit that it was defective.

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I know this pastor, and know that he is a man of integrity and genuine compassion. If McCain is elected I would feel good about his getting spiritual counsel from Dan Yeary, who was a colleague of mine in Kentucky Baptist campus ministry many years back.

I would guess that many Baptist churches have people like the Senator, who cannot quite bring themselves to adult immersion baptism. A woman whose funeral I just did a few weeks ago attended my church for years, having been raised in the AME denomination. But one day she presented herself at the invitation, having overcome her inhibitions. Wouldn't it be something for Dan or somebody to baptize POTUS? What a plus that could be for Baptists, provided we can explain it to a world that would see our position as narrow-minded, etc.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no way that I would vote for Senator McCain(especially since I think that he foolishly wants to start a war with Iran); however, I am glad to read that he is a Christian.