1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain Blows it

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Mar 1, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070301/ap_on_el_pr/mccain2008_19

McCain says U.S. lives 'wasted' in Iraq

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer 45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential contender John McCain (news, bio, voting record), a staunch backer of the
    Iraq war but critic of how
    President Bush has waged it, said U.S. lives had been "wasted" in the four-year-old conflict.

SNIP

"Americans are very frustrated, and they have every right to be," McCain said Wednesday on CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman." "We've wasted a lot of our most precious treasure, which is American lives."

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I am agreeing with McCain, who I will never support in any way, but I do have a question. What have we gained in Iraq? We have lost how many people, we have spent how much money, and what have we got in return?

If McCain has blown it then that is good. Now I only hope Giuliani will blow it as well. While we are at it the whole lot of them can fall flat on their hypocritical faces. Our country would be better off if we could get more honest people to run for office.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just to add a thought, isn't this the same guy who was supporting the extra troops Bush was sending over there and even more than that, then turns around and criticizes the war effort?

You are right about the one point, the Republicans have put no one up who can even come close to what Reagan was. I honestly think if the average voter perceives both parties as fronting a liberal/moderate candidate, they will say, might as well vote democratic, they are both liberal. There is nothing more sickening on earth than a liberal republican.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Amen to that. In moments of weakness I have wondered why I did not just go ahead and vote for Gore. Of course I would never have done that but my point is that Bush is certainly no conservative. He is certainly not a Reagan conservative.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. They might say, "Why settle for a cheap substitute when you can have the real thing?"

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From what I understand from my brother (a Navy Leutenant), we've gained freedom from a dictator for the Iraqis, their gratitude (NOT like on the news - the vast majority of the Iraqis thank the soldiers wherever they are - they are SO grateful for the changes that have taken place.

I think the biggest issue is that Iraq is not ready to take over the ruling of the country. I don't know if it's just that they're kind of stepping back and saying "here, you take care of it" or if they are just really not capable of doing it.

While I am utterly saddened by losing those precious lives of our men and all the others who have died due to this war, I know my brother said he'd have gladly died for this - as has every other soldier I've spoken to who has returned from Iraq. There IS a purpose to this and, while it's not pretty and doesn't look like there's a great next step in the near future, we DID accomplish taking out one evil man, and allowing the possibility of a country being in peace someday.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is a very different picture from what I hear from soldiers I have talked to. They talk about how they cannot trust anyone (child/adult) and about how violent it is. Someone who is friendly is just as likely to kill as someone who is openly hostile.

As for changes in their lives, well, I am sure certain areas are better than others. So I suppose that would depend upon what area of Iraq a person is in.

==After four years, thousands of troops, and millions of dollars, that fact is unforgivable. Besides it is not our job to rule/govern/control their country. That is their problem and not ours.

==I am sure they would after all that is who they are (a soldier). Even the soldiers who don't support this war say the same things. That does not mean, however, that it is just/right for them to be there. This war did not have to happen. This war does not fit the just-war doctrine.

==We took out one evil man to put in another. The people in charge now are not exactly saints you know. We have no business worry about the government of Iraq.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Lives were not wasted if the purpose of the war was to obtain control of Iraqui oil for the Saudis and the Bush family oil companies.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

I agree with you but they will not give us the real thing. If a real conservative were to run I think they would win by landslide.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by annsni
    I think the biggest issue is that Iraq is not ready to take over the ruling of the country.

It took our own country far longer. Even without the violence.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was actually thinking the other way...why people might vote for the real liberal rather than the pseudo-liberal/moderate neo-Republican.

I don't think a real conservative would win in a landslide, but I think a socially and fiscally conservative pragmatist might win.

Of course, I think the key to win would be a denouncing of Bush's policies, including the war. IMO, a pro-war candidate won't win. That's why I think McCain is dead in the water (not that he's the super-conservative, but still).

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, but there are several big difference between early America and modern Iraq. First they are divided into religious groups and communities that "naturally" war against each other. While there were divisions in early America people could still work together. This is not the case in the majority of Iraq. Second most of the Iraqi people are not willing to fight for their "freedom" they want someone else to do it for them. Early Americans were willing to fight, and fight hard, for our freedoms. Third their society is filled with radicals who only wish to fight/kill. I could name more differences but those points are enough.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the more reason for it to take much longer for the Iraqis to establish self rule than it took us. You are holding them to a much tougher timetable than you do the US.

BTW Only a few "early Americans" were willing to fight for their freedoms. The vast majority took no part or actively opposed independence.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain has fallen into the liberal trap of minimizing the sacrifice of our troops and their families, just like Obama. Liberals like Obama just can't help themselves and even he recognized his mistake.

More than any of the others, McCain should know better. Even if he believes it, he should have enough sense not to verbalize it.

His shoddy record on political free speech notwithstanding, with these remarks,he has just insured that he will stand absolutely no chance to be the Republican nominee for president.

15. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain collapsed. Good. He voted too often with Demos.

Conservatives are too busy getting rich to take time out to run for public office. There is no conservative candidate this time because the conservatives have not bothered to develop anyone since Reagan, who did not know any theology.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be one if Congressman Ron Paul officially declares his candidacy. :)

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully, Congressman Ron Paul will run and will win by a landslide. :)