1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain camp disputes Wright-Parsley comparison

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

A campaign official disputes that argument, adding that any comparison between the Wright and Parsley situations is “totally absurd.” The official notes that Rev. Wright married Obama, baptized his children and has served as his spiritual adviser for 20 years, whereas McCain received Parsley’s endorsement at one event and has never attended his service.

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/03/15/mccain-camp-disputes-wright-parsley-comparison/

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/mccains-church-hates-ame_b_92140.html

Fair is fair. So where are the clips -- playing incessantly next to Hillary Clinton's picture -- of her antiwar friends and Bill Clinton's fellow draft dodger members of the New Left, cursing and damning America during Vietnam War protests and since? The company that Bill and Hillary kept in the late 1960s through the 1970s was defined by damning America and sometimes by rooting for the North Vietnamese. Anti-American spewing also came from left wing white preachers. Read the fiery sermons of the late Episcopal bishop of New York Paul Moore, Jr. who raged against America.

Bishop Moore, in his 1997 autobiography, Presences: A Bishop's Life in the City, wrote that the end of the Cold War had left the United States "like a wounded rooster crowing on the top of the dung heap." Blaming "corporate greed and lust" as well as "unbridled nationalism" for manufacturing causes for war, Moore cursed America as often as he served communion.

McCain is an Episcopalian. Where are the clips of the anti-American rantings of Bishop Moore and not a few other Episcopalian pastors and bishops, next to McCain's picture?

Want to play this smear-by-association game? Okay, while McCain was a prisoner of war his bishop Moore was rooting for McCain's torturers. How can McCain be a member of that denomination and be a real American, let alone commander in chief? Isn't it time he explains his anti-American white associations? Isn't it time McCain gives a speech to explain what it means to be a white in bed with hate-America white liberals..?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is simply disengenuine to characterize this a simply "guilt by association". There is much more to this. Obama nad his wife have presnted themselves in a couple of situations that questioned their loyalty to this country long before this Wright thing came up. Obama refusing to place his hand over his heart. His wifes comment about fiinally being proud of America.

Add to that Obamas time spent as an actual church member where this racist attitude is prevelant throughout the church. Obama being on Wright's board and saying he is like an uncle.

Obama's ties are far to close and his own behavior has been questionable. This is in a world of common sense more than just guilty by association.

The problems with the clintons have been talked about and are well known. They have been through a Presidential candicy before. The lack of talk about it with them probably stems out of the fact that we all know this is common knowledge.

McCain has no such ties as mentioned above.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Did Obama refuse to place his hand over his heart or did he just not do it? I don't recall him saying placing his hand over his heart is something he refuses to do I just recall that one picture where he didn't do it. Maybe just symantics.

I'm not sure where his wife is from or how old she is but if she was brought up in the south as a black woman then her view my be slightly bitter. Kind of hard to be proud of a country that makes you go to the backdoor to get your food, sit in the back of the bus or turns fire hoses on you because you cry foul. I believe she has a new perspective of this land of opportunity if she came from there to running for first lady.

Also, the more I read of this Church the more I find there is a large percentage of white's in the congregation. I can't see staying under a pastor who continually says hateful things about you. This makes me believe those clips were the exception and not the norm. I'm willing to bet they can take 2 minute clips of any of the preachers here and make us appear to be anything. I'm not excusing what the preacher said but I can't believe we saw a reflection of every sermon or even those sermons in their entirity.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Surely this did not happen in her generation. I live in the South and I have never seen that kind of mistreatment other than in the history books.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Only thing else I can guess is 20 years of listening to Rev Wright... :BangHead:

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You must be young. I remember that as a twelve year old boy watching the fire hoses being used on blacks in Alabama during marches. I also remember watching police doge attacking marchers. This all happened in the south.