1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain schedules meeting with Dalai Lama,calls him "transcendent national role model"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by thomas not doubting, Jul 24, 2008.

1. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

From Denver TV Station KCNC's website:

McCain is...scheduled to meet with the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, in Aspen.

Campaigning in Columbus, Ohio, the Arizona senator said he had arranged Friday's meeting.

"I have been a great admirer of the Dalai Lama," McCain said. He called him a "transcendent national role model."

http://cbs4denver.com/politics/mccain.denver.gi.2.779018.html

This meeting is scheduled for Friday, July 25 (tomorrow).

My comment? Bleah!

#1 thomas not doubting, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am sorry to see McCain calling the Dalai Lama a role model. I was involved in Tibetan Buddhism for awhile (before salvation) and it is a very dark religion indeed.

I heard the DL in person last October in Ithaca, NY. The DL is considered to be a "living Buddha" which is the highest status a human can attain.

The DL's goal is to spread Buddhism in the West (do people realize he has started several Buddhist monasteries in the U.S?) because he believes only through Buddhism can one be liberated. People think he's so tolerant of other religions. This is because he believes that everyone will eventually become a Buddhist. The DL is leading tens of thousands away from the gospel.

3. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

At least no one will hold any illusions that McCain is a born-again Christian.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

My Answer

My answer to this foolishness is....Baldwin/Castle 2008....yes...they are a long shot but as far as I can tell they are the only choice for Christians IF it is important to us to have a Bible Believer subject to being led by the Holy Spirit in the White House. By the way...being led by the Spirit is the ONLY way ANYBODY can make truly WISE decisions. IMHO we've certainly had enough psuedo-"christians" or CARNAL ones in there. It is definitely (as never before in our history) time for a REAL change.

Looking For Jesus!,Greg Perry Sr.:praying:

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baldwin thinks the war against abortion pales against soveriegnty issues. I am concerned about both but diminishing the holocaust in this country as if it takes a back seat to the unlimited slaughter of unborn children is twisted.

6. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

This is a good move for McCain

We should not be isolationist when dealing with major religions of peace and IMO the Dali Lama is a man of peace.

Buddhists are not a threat to the United States only extremest religions with wacko theocracy in mind.

McCain is doing the right thing he can still be a Baptist and still show respect to the Dali Lama and then make it much easier for peaceful Buddhists to vote for him and support him.

We as Christians get our peace from prayer and belief in God through His Son Jesus Christ but I will not condemn other Religions of peace who are void of any violence.

[​IMG]

hthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QvVaZfFDKwtp://

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no peace in a religion that will send you to hell for eternity. It is evil. There is more to peace than a lack of physical combat.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He is a man of peace from the world's eyes, but not in God's eyes. There can be no peace when man is not at peace with God. I am not saying it's wrong to try to bring peace or to be peaceful, but we should not look to the DL as a role model since he is lost and in a very occult-based religion. Most Westerners have no idea what Tibetan Buddhism is like or what it's about. It's extremely dark - actually, sort of like black magick.

You must be unaware of how influential Buddhism is in this country. It started with the Beat generation - they got into Zen. It's grown from there. TIME magazine had a cover story several years ago about how much Buddhism has spread here (and this is converts to Buddhism in the US, not indigineous Buddhists).

Buddhism is not non-violent. And God has already condemned Buddhism, and all other religions that reject Christ.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well said and worth saying. That last sentence couldn't be more true. Peace is not the absence of conflict. And without Christ, there is no real peace.

10. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

Politically speaking is what I am doing

Marcia"He is a man of peace from the world's eyes, but not in God's eyes. There can be no peace when man is not at peace with God. I am not saying it's wrong to try to bring peace or to be peaceful, but we should not look to the DL as a role model since he is lost and in a very occult-based religion. Most Westerners have no idea what Tibetan Buddhism is like or what it's about. It's extremely dark - actually, sort of like black magick."

This debate is not about Christianity vs Buddhism but John McCain showing respect to a man of peace who is trying to gain votes from that community I think that is smart of him.

You must be unaware of how influential Buddhism is in this country. It started with the Beat generation - they got into Zen. It's grown from there. TIME magazine had a cover story several years ago about how much Buddhism has spread here (and this is converts to Buddhism in the US, not indigineous Buddhists).

I think the Buddhism population in this country is less that 2 percent they are not a threat and they live in peace in America , I would find no reason to persecute this minority. This is not a theocracy here and this country has freedom of religion now the Good News is exactly that and we have that on our side.

Buddhism is not non-violent. And God has already condemned Buddhism, and all other religions that reject Christ.

I do not think it is violent have not heard or seen that it is in America again this topic and debate is a political one and I think John McCain did the right thing in showing him respect it will gain him votes and does not compromise his faith and is still a Baptist in good standing , have not heard his church disown him?

I am sorry I just cannot drum myself up to hate Buddists they have not harmed me or this country. I think some of you are over reacting and do not see what McCain is doing he is also sending a message to China to respect Tibet.

Now if you want to start a topic about Christianity vs Buddism fine go for it.

#10 YOUTUBECANBESAVED, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is not a man of peace.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He called the DL a role model and that is what I was responding to. Also, there is a lot of misperception about the DL and his motives. The best way to understand him is to know about his religion and what he has said. Most Americans are totally unaware of this and uninterested.

Where did I advocate persecuting them??? This is a red herring and a straw man - totally fallacious. I was simply pointing out what Buddhism is, and actually there is a rising number of Western converts to Buddhism, and actually, the DL does aim to spread Buddhism in the U.S. as much as possible.

Straw man and loaded language! I am not overreacting. I know what lies behind Buddhism. I do not hate Buddhists. You are being very unfair implying that. Most of what you say here are informal fallacies of logic, and you also have made a subtle attack on me that is without merit, implying I hate Buddhists or advocate persecuting them. There is nothing I said to that effect.

13. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Hello Marcia,

I trust that all is well with you up in NorVA.

Please explain this statement.

Regards,
    BiR

14. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

John McCain met and motive is Tibet

It was what I thought it was John McCain challenging the Chinese to treat the
    Tibetans right, bottom line that will get him votes.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN36pfaaZyQ

He called the DL a role model and that is what I was responding to. Also, there is a lot of misperception about the DL and his motives. The best way to understand him is to know about his religion and what he has said. Most Americans are totally unaware of this and uninterested.

I think the reason people are uninterested is because this religion is not a threat and lives in peace in this country. The "DL" is a role model in a secular world/Buddhist world but so much for the Christian.

Buddhism is not non-violent

I was responding and concerned about your statement that Buddhism is violent? and someone else saying they are evil.Perhaps you could clarify but I perceived it as inflammatory language when I personally have not seen any violence from these people and have not heard of them doing any evil in the this country.

John McCain is not running as Baptist in Chief he is running for President of all the People and their may be a minority religions that live in peace in this country that he respects and wants their vote. Good move on his part to gain votes and support.

anything else is theological discussion and should be in a theological thread Christianity vs. Buddhism . This was all about a political deciscion which I thought was smart of him to reach out to these people and then it goes to one of theology which I am sure John McCain had no inkling all he wanted was to gain votes and support and speak out about Tibet.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The evil of DL is he preaches a religion that sends people to hell. That is no more good for secularists than it is for Christians. Nothing peaceful about that.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hello, Baptist in Richmond! :wavey: Nice to "see" you again!

Although some Buddhists may take vows to not harm, there is really nothing absolute against violence. In fact, many monks do things to provoke violence against themselves - - we saw that recently. I am not saying they deserved it, but they will do things to provoke it.

And remember the people (mostly monks) who burned themselves alive, I think during the Vietnam War??

There have also been protests that included violence in Asia among Buddhist monks. Several years ago, the DL decided his monks could not worship a certain diety they had been honoring, and violent protesting broke out.

Also, just look at the history of Tibet when buddhist monks and leaders ruled it -- full of violence!

Buddhism teaches that there is no self. Your idea that you have a self is based on the 5 aggregates - these are feelings, thoughts, sensations, and other experiences that make you think you exist as a self. But you don't. This is what you need to be liberated from in order to escape desire and therefore escape suffering.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, I agree with this.

See my response on this to Baptist in Richmond.

Although there are teachings against violence, violence is not unknown among monks and in the history of buddhism. Think about martial arts - this partly came from the "warrior monks."

See
    http://www.sangam.org/articles/view/?id=118 (excerpt below)
    This is why it's important to understand the philosophy behind buddhism. People have this image of monks in orange robes meditating and don't understand the incredible darkness behind their beliefs. I am not against the buddhists! I am burdened for them being in such a lost and dark religion!

And I am not saying that the DL is a warmonger - far from it. But we cannot be naive about him or about Buddhism (or Tibetan Buddhism which is very different in many ways from other forms of Buddhism). I just think people in the West have very naive, incomplete ideas of Buddhism and the DL based on movies, TV shows, Hollywood's love of the East and the exotic, and on images in TV commercials.

We should not set up the DL as some kind of sacred cow - he is so popular here that he speaks to scientists and is getting his buddhist beliefs being looked at by scientists, Christians, etc. and all kinds of people. He has a huge platform and is openly accepted as this wise, wonderful person. Well, he's smart and clever but he is not wise. He is lost in a very dark religion, and not only that, is leading thousands of people in the West into it.

Go to Ithaca, NY where the DL has established a monastery. There are prayer flags waving in various places in town. The DL was treated like a god when he spoke there at Cornell and Ithaca College last Oct. I was there. He wants buddhism to be accepted and he is using the force of his personality and the Tibet situation to do this.

18. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

Thanks for your response

There is a YouTube video about some violence in Sri Lanka I do not know the details but of course I condemn it as well as Buddhists

also a certain sect of Buddhism has been ostracized and had to flee and they
    live in exile in India.

so I have moved towards your posistion but knowing some Buddhist I have always loved them and considered them good and peaceful.(not a mean bone in their body)

I think if you did a comparative religious study on who has been more violent Christianity(Relgious movements) or Buddhism I would like to see the scale brought out??? I think we can all agree that Fundementalist Religion out of
    control and corrupt dehumanizes people.

19. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Thank you for your first-hand insight. I trust that all is well with you and yours. FWIW, you and your ministry have been on my daily prayer list for almost two years now (wow - it seems longer!!), and I pray for God's Blessings upon you twice daily.

Again, thanks,
    BiR (your friend down in Richmond)

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, thanks for your openness to hearing my views. :wavey:

I agree there are some very nice buddhists without "a mean bone in their body." I know and knew many New Agers like that as well. But I also realize how lost they are and what a deceptive belief system they have.

Well, even if we have people doing violence as Christians or in the name of Christianity that doesn't mean God endorses it. Buddhists who may become violent may not be going along with some of Buddha's teachings, but they have no God to be accountable to. There is no supreme god in Buddhism - there are "divine beings" or "demi-gods" who also must have rebirths in order to advance, In Mahayana Buddhism (which is Tibet, China, Japan and maybe a couple of others), the Buddha is supreme over the demi-gods or any deities. And in some cases, as with the DL, the living Buddha is even greater than any god (though they officially don't believe in gods there are these divine beings).

So basically, there is no accountability there and no absolutes in terms of right and wrong.

As far as violence, atheism begets more violence than Christianity. See
    "Atheism, Not Religion, Is the Real Killer" at http://www.tothesource.org/11_29_2006/11_29_2006.htm

Well, depends on what you mean by "fundamentalist." People use this word (or misuse it) as a slam for beliefs. I don't even like to say "fundamentalist Musims." There are Muslim sects which are radical and believe in killing the infidel, but then I like to call them by their correct name.

As far as believing in the fundamentals of the faith acc. to the Bible, I am a fundamentalist. But I am not a Fundamentalist as in the Fundamentalist Baptists (not that there is anyting wrong with them, I just don't belong to one of those churches), nor am I fundamentalist in the sense the media means it, by which they mean I am for guns, always vote Republican, want to bash people over the head with a Bible, etc. So it depends on what someone means when they say "fundamentalist."