1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain Supporter

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Good stuff, there.

McCain is probably the single best candidate the Republican party has out there up to this point. He's been characterized as a "moderate," by conservatives, and in terms of his position on many things, he probably is. Politically, in this country, though, moderates are the ones who tend to get their agenda done because they know how to negotiate, and they place priorities on what's important to the national interest, and not just to a narrow segment of it. Conservatives don't like that, because they don't want to give any ground on anything. That could be why very little of what they have been attempting to get done through the government for 25 years has actually been done.

What I really like about McCain is that he obviously sees faith as something to live out and make part of who you are, and not just trot out to use when it is convenient, such as when you are running for political office. He happens to be a Baptist, and I'm surprised that so many on this board aren't aware of that. I really appreciate the fact that he doesn't cheapen or compromise his faith by making political window dressing out of it.

I have to admit, when this early election campaigning started, my disgust with Bush and the Republican dominated Congress had pushed me to the place where I wasn't interested at all in a major party candidate, and since McCain was running second to Giuliani, and most of the discussion was centering on either him or one of the other more conservative candidates, I paid him little mind. After reading about him, and having a little time to do some more investigation, I think McCain would be the only Republican I'd vote for in November of '08, if he makes the ticket. Why conservative Christian right wingers wouldn't support him is beyond me. He's their only chance to influence the party nomination against Giuliani (who for all intents and purposes is a Republican in name only) and he's a far better choice than Huckabee, Romney, Gingrich, or Paul, none of whom stand a snowball's chance on a hot stove of winning the general election.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain is not a conservative and cannot be trusted. To maintain his rep as a maverick, he was instrumental in stripping Americans of their free speech rights to advocate the election of one candidate or another.

McCain is mostly all about McCain.

4. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

And as usual, from this particular source, no proof.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone with even a moderate knowledge of campaign finance reform should know of what I speak. See McCain/Feingold if you need a refresher course.

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

While I don't like agreeing with carpro :tongue3: I have to agree with him on this. McCain isn't the man people think he is. McCain and Romney are both camellias. They will blend in and say and do whatever they think the need to to win, but in the end, will not live up to anything they say.

Jamie

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

You just described virtually every politician in office, almost without exception.

I'd like to see an example of where McCain was inconsistent about what he said, or where he hasn't lived up to what he has said he would support. What you have here are just words with no proof.

Carpro may not agree with McCain/Feingold, because it puts his favorite corrupt GOPers at a disadvantage, but it's not an inconsistency on McCain's part, nor is it an example of his lack of "conservativeness."

The religious right is sadly, sadly mistaken if it thinks it is going to find an electable candidate who will push their social agenda through without compromise or condition.

8. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

McCain is on record admitting adultery. His current wife is one of those with whom he did that. Does that make any difference? Juliani was in an affair while married. Does that make any difference? Have you seen either of them repenting?

Source? Just google it. McCain mentioned it himself on TV.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

100% in agreement with that statement. I would not vote McCain any more than Romney or Guliani. His moral standing and convictions sway with the wind. PS 104, this very morning at a press conference, when President Bush was asked if he thought homosexuality was immoral, he said he made no judgement. It seems to me your support of him and others you have put on a pedestal and adored is quite flawed by Biblical standards.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain is widely reported to be an Episcopalian.
    When did he switch?

11. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

It is my understanding that McCain regularly attends North Phoenix Baptist Church. He is a member of an Episcopalian congregation.

At any rate, I intend to support him in the primaries. If he fails to make the Republican party nomination, I will vote for whomever the Democrats nominate.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Smooth move guy. To our nations sorrow, most Americans settle for the self centered trash that has announced for the two major parties. This election could be our last chance to survive as a nation. But go ahead, look at all the great choices: Hillary, Obama, Edwards, Guiliani, Romney, McCain, the top six. Pathetic, isnt it?

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Fred Thompson is still a possible candidate.