1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mccan -- Rich and out of touch?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person does not even know how many homes he owns, how can he know what life is like for the average person?

I often wonder how any politician at the national level keeps in touch. I am not sure they can and do.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And now we get to hear about Resco again. Good move Obama surrogates.

Has anyone even seen or heard the soundbyte? I haven't, just the allegation. BTW, for legal purposes, if someone asked me the question, I couldn't give a straight answer either. I'd give you the details, but it's rather lengthy and takes a great deal of explanation. And no, I'm not rich. :tongue3:

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I am sure it is difficult for any politicain to keep in touch with us 'normal' people. They are isolated and surrounded by their staff. They are cut off from real life.

But the question on how many homes you own can be very disceptive. For a millionaire with money in blind trusts how much rental property does he own? What about time shares, do you count that? His family has vacation compounds and so does his in laws. That is family property but does not belong to him, does that count? He probably does not know how many homes he owns.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama is going to have to do better than this.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who keep up with politics already knew that Senator McCain is an elitist. So is Senator Obama.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I know a man here in my town that owns a small company that is unrelated to the real estate business. He also owns many small rental properties. Some are single dwelling houses, some are duplexes, and some are apartments. He has a real estate company manage his properties. Sometimes they come to him to acquire other properties and sometimes they come to him to sell some that he owns. But he cant give you an answer as to how many he owns right at this second. Besides?, Is a duplex counted as one house or two?

But he has the modest home he lives in and he has a mobile home on the lake, so that makes two that he occupies. Isnt that what really counts? The number of homes that a person occupies reflects alot more about his financial situation than the number of income properties that he owns. Besides, most income properties are mortgaged to the max.

So, a better question for McCain would be "How many houses do you personally occupy?"

Besides, I have never heard any rumors that link McCain to any shady real estate barons/slum lords, so whatever he owns he obtained with clean money. Can Obama claim the same thing? Is all of his money clean? Did he obtain his house through his relationship with crooked real estate people? There are enough rumors to make one wonder, aren't there?

AJ

#6 ajg1959, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are correct. Not only are they surrounded by their staff, but the staff is almost always a group of "Yes, you are right," people. The sad thing is that the staff, to keep their jobs, will not tell the politician when they are out of line. All the exposed scandles, both parties, reveal this to be true.

Because of all the "Yes, yes, yes you are right and wonderful" replies the politicians end up believing their own infallability. This probably isn't hard considering the egos that develop with power.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

All one has to do is remind everyone of king Obama's statement about us common folk turning to our guns and religion for a solace.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

The best I can say is, so what? Him and his wife own condos, his wife is rich, Obama is rich. And when McCain attempted to fiond out about life for the rest of, remember the gallon of milk thing, people here bashed him for it, now saying he is out of touch with the rest of us. You can only have it one way, please choose and stick with it instead flip flopping constantly.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonder how long it has been since either of them have been in a grocery store shopping?

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

That's it!

Actually I don't care how many houses either McCain or Obama owns.

As far as being out of touch, professional politicians at the level of McCain or Obama have usually lost touch with any idea of what the average American's life is like.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What politicians staff does this and where do you get your info from?

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

If you're talking about financial situation counting out real estate owned but not occupied is just as arbitrary as saying you're leaving out stock or bond holdings. If it's worth something it adds to someone's financial worth.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

McCain an elitist. Ha. :smilewinkgrin: :tongue3:

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I was under the impression that the issue was that McCain had many houses to actually live in, which is alot more extravagant than real estate investments. I really believe this this is what Obama was trying to imply.

AJ

16. targus

targus New Member

And how many houses is that?

Does Obama know? If not - isn't implying something that you have no actual knowledge of something like bearing false witness?

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George Will made an excellent point today. He said that our presidential candidates are always elitiists. We simply decide which elitist we want as president. :)

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you think of any presidents who do not fit into the elitist category?

Maybe Abe Lincoln.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of elitists start off with poor roots such as Lincoln.