1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McKissic asks SBC to add policy on tongues to statement of faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist Believer, Sep 19, 2006.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may indeed be the stated procedure, but hierarchy has been known to have a great deal of influence in such things.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that God provides personal and corporate guidance, empowerment and fellowship to His people through the Spirit.

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Would be nice to sort it out once and for all and encourage AoGers to go to AoG and refrain from infiltrating Baptist Churches....

....won't hold my breath though :(

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you were teaching the truth it should be no problem. It is an opportunity for you to prove how right you are. Isn't that what Jesus did?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What convinves you that there will be no more written scripture?

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because there hasn't been any written within the last 1900 years, and there does not seem to be a need for any more.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

If you react to my words, then react to them: there is no mention of a private prayer language in the Bible.

Again, I restate what I have continued to believe for at least 30 years . . . There is no private prayer language mentioned in the Bible. There is mention of 'tongues', but these required translators . . . If you want me to react to what McKissic said - then I will be the same that I was 30 years ago and yesterday and tomorrow.

If you want me to react to your words then start a new thread . . .

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is your beef with the closed cannon. It appears you agree with this.

9. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Since it seems to have been shown through scripture that Dr. McKissic is on solid scriptural ground, I don't think we have any AoGers (I guess you mean Assembly of God) infiltrating Baptist churches. And what if we did? Whose church is it, anyway? I've always been taught it was Christ's.

Maybe I should go back to the Christian church. They were sure not hung up on name identity, obviously, and were much more concerned about the eternal condition of your soul than about what denominational label and doctrinal position you associated with.

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don’t accept the doctrine of a “closed canon” (please note the spelling) because there is no scriptural support for it. I’m not really hostile toward it either, since I consider it irrelevant except when those who believe the teaching try to use it to “prove” that God doesn’t speak to individuals anymore or support and empower the church with spiritual gifts.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Your argument is the argument that the charismatics used when they came and took over SBC churches . . .

The Church belongs to Jesus and that is all the more reason we should not endorse stealing from the church.

IMHO.

Maybe if you had seen so many come in and steal from your Christian Churches . . . oh but you must have seen them come in and steal your conservative doctrine and make it liberal . . . is that why you left them?

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Private prayer language isnt supported with scripture. The bigger question is what were the gifts for?

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

[slightly off topic] is it just me, or are the natives really grumpy today? Ya'll be nice now... [/slightly off topic]

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Check out posts #56 of this thread.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, that’s the question facing the SBC isn’t it?

Folks here, and in several other threads, have presented scriptural support for the practice. Just because you don’t accept it doesn’t mean scripture doesn’t support it. On the other hand, those who present scriptural support could possibly be in error. But your continued unsupported assertions that scripture doesn’t support a private prayer language adds nothing to our discussion any more than unsupported assertions that support a private prayer language.

We have a difference of interpretation of scripture, not rejection of scripture.

That’s a good question for discussion.

I understand the gifts to be abilities that God gives individuals for Kingdom life and ministry within the community of faith. The gifts support, encourage and empower individuals and congregations as they minister to each other and the world.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I do see is the inconsistancy in a private prayer language.

The tongues Paul spoke in was several other "Known" languages. Your assertion is pure specualtion based on silence rather than scripture.

It did not "have" to be during private prayer. Nor is a private prayer language even eluded to. The word tongues gets all kinds of speculative assertions made to it. Nothing really founded in any real exegis.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on the context of the passage, Paul is obviously not talking about normal human languages.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have to break it down and explain why tongues would not be normal human languages. clearly tongues is always in normal human languages.

1 Cor 14:22
    Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Paul certainly deascribes the purpose of tongues which is consistantly overlooked and leaves no room for a private prayer language.

19. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

How is it that people from an AoG background worshipping and ministering in a Baptist church involves "stealing."? What is being stolen?

Are you implying that these people who interpret the scripture a bit differently than you do are not Christians?

Aren't you the one that posted the term "scripture" with a question mark three times when I pointed out that the gift of tongues, including its use as a private prayer language, was indeed scriptural? I notice you've ignored that. This rejection of other believers in Christ based on personal, human interpretations of scripture is arrogant and unchristlike.

I left the Christian church because when I was a student at Belmont University, a Baptist school, my closest friends on the hall in the dorm where I lived went to a Baptist church. I was alone in a strange city, away from home for the first time in my life, and I had only been a Christian for a couple of years, so I went with them. I saw little difference in the beliefs or practices from what I was used to, so I joined a Baptist church. As far as I know, the Christian church still believes firmly in repentance, salvation by grace through faith in Christ, and priesthood of the believer. They believe the Bible is the authoritative, inspired, written Word of God. I don't think anyone has stolen anything from them as a denomination, though perhaps some of the churches have experienced the theft of their physical property fom time to time.

The only name for the church I find in the New Testament is that the believers were called "The Way" until someone hanged the tag "Christian" on them at Antioch. The idea of dividing up into groups over nitpicky doctrinal disagreements was rejected wholesale by the Apostle Paul in I Corinthians 3.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one spirit--just as you were called to one hope when you were called--one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4:1-6, NIV

Godspeed the day that all this petty, denominational nitpicking at each other is no longer a characteristic of your church, and we can live together in unity and love as your Word so clearly speaks this deep desire of your heart to us.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In a Baptist thread on a Baptist Board, you take offense at my being baptistic in my interpretation of Scripture AND in my feeling that other denominations should build their own denominations, churches, missions programs, etc . . .

And you want me to accept people of AoG background infiltrating a Baptist church . . . to steal it from its historic New Testament identity?

THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT FOR A PRIVATE PRAYER LANGUAGE.

NONE.

There is support for speaking in known languages. There are some (IMHO - non-Baptists) that interpret that to mean that they can speak in unknown languages, but Paul was clear that that required an interpreter to be present.

My stance was and is clear: if you want me as a conservative, traditional, & historic Baptist to take a stand on 'private prayer language' - I go with the Bible - there were none.

May God bring the day when His people are busier building the Kingdom than they are taking from what others have built and claiming it in their name . . .

I am glad that you have pointed out that AoG now do this, I am ashamed of them - but, proud that you pointed it out.