1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MCTS and RBS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mjohnson7, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Are there any members of the BB that are students at either the Midwest Center for Theological Studies or Reformed Baptist Seminary? I know neither are accredited - please let's not bring up that debate! Both schools offer distance learning and neither could remotely be considered a diploma mill.

Some of the faculty of both schools received the MDiv equivalency from MCTS's and RBS's sister/spiritual predecessor, Trinity Ministerial Academy in New Jersey and have gone on to earn PhDs at accredited institutions. Is there a likelihood of MCTS and RBS grads earning ThMs and PhDs at places like SBTS, WTS, or TEDS?

Obviously, these schools are meeting a need for pastoral training (especially for Reformed Baptists) - rigorous academics in the context of a local church - a paradigm that most would agree would be most beneficial.

Tell me BB, what are your thoughts?

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I had attended some courses and am friends with many at MCTS in Owensboro. I attended Heritage and so I know many of the professors.

In my opinion, it was more academically rigorous than the two other places I completed post-graduate coursework. I do not know how distance learning works, but there is a strong desire to shepherd the students to lovingly help them progress more than just academically.

I would recommend you study Sam Waldron's book on the 1689 London Baptist Confession to understand their beliefs. What I most appreciate about the school is they are upfront in what they believe more than most other Seminaries who provide a skeletal doctrinal statement.

Are there weaknesses? Of course. It is a smaller school who brings in adjunct faculty to teach many courses. You will meet Fred Malone, Tom Ascol, Tom Nettle, and many more.

Would I recommend them? Yes!

Are they perfect? No!

If you have any questions, let me know.

3. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Ruiz,

Thanks for the reply. The academic rigor is a characteristic that I think will only aid students in any future academic endeavors.

My understanding is that those who cannot attend on campus, will watch lectures on video and have the same text, assignments, expectations, etc., but work with a local mentor/pastor to help with the integrating the academy with the local church.

I consider myself a Reformed Baptist, so that aspect of the school, its rigor, and the professors teaching the courses are all clear "pros" in my opinion.

If I may ask, what other schools did you do grad work at that you believe were less rigorous that MCTS - feel free to PM if you feel that wouldn't be appropriate for the open forum.

Thanks.