1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mechanics of a Perfect Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, this is a very good question, Mexdeaf. I'm sorry it got ignored.

I'm going to think about it more, but here is what I think now. A complete translation of the NT should:
    (1) have all the books of the NT,
    (2) translate all the doctrines correctly,
    (3) include all the narratives,
    (4) treat the doctrine and life of Christ especially carefully.

The most often violated, IMO, is #2. I remember the big fuss about the RSV because it didn't treat the virgin birth of Christ correctly. Again, here in Japan the latest version translates baptism as senrei ("washing ceremony"), the word used by baptismal regeneration, baby-baptizing and liberal churches for baptism. :type:

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing this, franklinmonroe. Fascinating! :thumbs:

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link for an article about the new Bible just released for the Australian aborigines: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1763994.ece

Note the following error they made in the translation process:

"In the book of John, for example, an early draft had translated into Kriol the words 'Whoever believes in me will not perish.' But when asked the meaning of perish, Aboriginal people said that to them the word meant thirsty.

"Ms Mickan said: 'Out in the desert, they’d think "oh, I am perishing for water", or "I am really thirsty". That was their understanding.' So the phrase was replaced with 'Whoever believes in me will not die'."

4. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Wow

JoJ, I cannot even imagine what difficulties you are facing in this endeavor. I have a great respect for those that are able to undertake this work of preservation of God's Word.

Frankly, its all GREEK to me.

:laugh:

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just be thankful it's Greek to you and not Japanese! :laugh: At least Greek doesn't have two alphabets and 1000s of Chinese characters!

God equips and provides.

God bless.

John

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I would have to say that the former interpretation is more in-line with the intent of the believing unto salvation principle taught by the Lord Jesus to the woman at the well in John 4.

To be in the desert of sin perishing for the water of life is the answer to the metaphor.

Everyone dies in this flesh.

I know many Jews who deny the Scriptures that declare that anyone who believes will not die due to the fact all men die in this flesh. They deny the doctrine of eternal life in this manner due to thier spiritual blindeness.

If you're going to teach spiritual things from a natural perspective with only natural elements, might I suggest you're the blind leading the blind? Yes.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And this makes sense how?

The Greek word (apollumi) is not speaking of 'perishing from thirst' it is speaking of death. Jesus was not speaking mataphorically he was speaking plainly.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true, Mexdeaf. It is simply not right to use an idiom in pidgin for being thirsty, "I am perishing," for the death intended by the 1611 word "perish" and/or the Greek word appolumi. Salamander, I recommend you study more carefully the original meanings of the vocabulary of 1611 English.

Idioms are notoriously difficult to translate. I believe putting Greek idioms into Japanese while preserving the original meaning is the hardest task I have.

Consider. I just heard an American pitcher for a Japanese pro team being interviewed after his win. He used the term "hairy," as in, "I had a hairy time there in the 5th inning." Now, would you translate that literally, the word kedarake in Japanese? You would end up with, "I had hair all over me in the 5th inning." What, did you stop pitching and let the catcher cut your hair? Did you suddenly turn into a monkey? :laugh: This English idiom must be translated by a plain word meaning "difficult" in Japanese or by an equivalent idiom meaning "difficult."

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

In case you haven't noticed, perishing from thirst is death.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I recommend you study your Bible before you take things into the realm of cultural differences before you translate the Bible.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Maybe so in your mind but that isn't what Jesus said. Not even in the KJV.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Whatever do you mean by "take things into the realm of cultural differences?" :confused:

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are reading your American English into Australian pidgin. The pidgin word "perishing" clearly means "thirsty," not "dying from thirst." This is a common error by those unexperienced in translation.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yes, what do I mean. :laugh:

A man who is "called" to a different culture asks this question?

Our cultural differences are to be overcome, not our overcoming.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The "error" would be in the pidgin since it is a conglomeration of at least two languages effected by multiple dialects and
    according to region. I thought everyone knew that.:praying:

Anymore straws worth grasping?:tonofbricks:

Thirsty also means a lack of water. In the absence of water life ceases to exist, in any language. So death is the end result of thirst without the intervention of life-giving water. Now, if you really want to translate the spiritual meaning into another tongue, you'd best explain that aspect of eternal life. Unless it's your motive to displace the Spirit in the effort to satisfy the palate of that culture.

It may be your arrogance in your venture is the root cause of your lacking the wisdom and understanding one needs in such an endeavor.

If you want to leave out the spiritual truth in accordance to what thus saith the Lord it is your business and not the Lord's.:BangHead:

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

There you go John:

[sarcasm] If you were really saved, you'd be teaching Japanese people 17th-century English. [/sarcasm

Hoo boy. :rolleyes:

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, you'd best go read your Bible.

"Perishing" anywhere in the Bible results in death without a prior intervention to prevent the death that will ultimately otherwise occur.

Or is it you believe the word of God isn't the water necessary for the abundent Christian life?

Hmm, I hadn't realized before this conversation the depths apostacy had reached!

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ok, so you believe he ought to teach 21st century English to the Japanese without consulting root words and their meanings.

What I discern is bitterness on your behalf, possibly towards your 11th grade English teacher.

For anyone to have a working knowledge of any language, they'd best understand the poetic graces of that language.

Though many accusse the KJB to be written in a Shakespearian sort, portraying a definite ignorance when they do, the Elizabethan English in which it is awarded to resemble the most, is where we find the most affluence when the English poetic graces are to be exemplified.

Disagree? Well, your 11th grade English Language Arts teacher is still looking to bend your fingers back and smack her ruler repeatedly against your palm until you learn something.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, I for one won't waste any more time casting my pearls before Salamander. He obviously has all of the answers and does not need us 'apostates' to help him out.

JOJ, it's your thread....

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Stay bitter, it's bound to accomplish much in your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.