1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Medal of Honor recipient's family turned away at White House

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Don, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's ok for the Kennedy kid to be in shorts?

[​IMG]

The Reagan administration didn't have a problem with a teenager in jeans an untucked (and wrinkled) shirt.

[​IMG]

Hmm...Obama administration allows dogs into the oval office.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Surely this is a joke.

3. targus

targus New Member

But she wasn't sent an invitation. She was offered someone else's place on the tour.

And she probably thought that her grandson's t-shirt with his deceased medal of honor winning grandfather's picture was appropriate for the occassion considering that it was the day after his burial.

4. targus

targus New Member

Just to mention it again - she didn't get an invitation.

She was offered the place of another person once she arrived at the White House.

Too bad there is no one with the authority to make a tough important call like this on the fly.

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

It sounds like an unfortunate outcome all the way around, but if she wasn't even invited (which explains the t-shirt and shorts) then it was just poor luck she didn't meet the dress code when the opportunity arose. I just don't see the big wrong the white house staff has done here.

6. targus

targus New Member

Not saying it's a big wrong - just poor judgement.

Surely someone should have thought about the public relations side of this...

deceased medal of honor winner...

widow and grandson turned away from the West Wing...

the day after his funeral.

Doesn't look to good.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

You are assuming the person working that day knew all this. They probably have a day filled with dealing with all kinds of visitors in large numbers. You already said the invite to the tour was someone else's and not theirs. Since that was the case why do you assume the tour staff knew all the extenuating circumstances about someone not even previously invited?

Kind of the old saying, hind sight being 20/20

8. targus

targus New Member

Because she had a security clearance it would make sense that they would have some idea who she is.

Because she most likely told them who she is and who her deceased husband was.

Because the guy who gave up his place on the tour knew who she was there must have been some sort of conversation among at least some of the people present who knew the details.

If the person charged with turning her away didn't know who she was I have to wonder how well he was doing his job.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not an expert on back ground checks, but somehow I doubt they include dates of relatives funerals.

I have waited in hundreds of lines for many things. Often I have struck up conversation with others in lines and got to know things about them, where they were from, why they were there and they things about myself. I can't think of one instance where the people working at the place where we were waiting in line at, were privy to what we were talking about.

I agree it was a shame in the way it turned out. I just fail to see where it was a major gaffe, but rather someone just doing his job as he or she does every day, and following the rules and policy they are supposed to. Matter of fact it wasn't that long ago that everyone was criticizing white house employees for not following rules strict enough. Maybe that played into their strictness of enforcing the rules.

Maybe your right and it is somehow due to Obama being in the White House. He probably told all the staff at their monthly meeting that if they ever come across a chance to stick it to someone with ties to the military they should go for it. :smilewinkgrin:

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, where is this information offered? It wasn't in the original article, and I didn't see it in the follow-up article.

Targus - you're off base with your referral back to the fact that the kid is 10 years old. This isn't the kid's fault; I don't expect a 10-year old to have a good foundation on what is appropriate wear. I do expect the parents, grandparents, etc. to provide their 10-year olds appropriate guidance--i.e., teach them.

I also don't expect the tour guides to run background checks on the visitors; that's the job of the security detail. And I don't fault tour guides for falling back on the rules. I myself have been in the position where I exercised a little initiative and what I thought was common sense, only to be raked over the coals by my supervisor for not following the rules. It would be nice if they exercised a little initiative and asked their supervisor for guidance, but that's not always possible, either.

Suffice to say, my original intent in posting this was, respect. I could care less what examples others set; I can only speak to my pride of my country, and wonder what has happened to respect for it. This kid's particular t-shirt I can overlook; but t-shirt and shorts is not what I would personally identify as appropriate wear for the respect and dignity of the facility being visited -- despite whatever lack of respect may have been heaped upon it by its current resident.

#30 Don, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree, nice post.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is knickers and short pants went out of style as boys dress wear before long before Pearl Harbor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.