1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Medical Leave

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Palatka51, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

My Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ;

At 10am today, I am going in for foot surgery on the right foot and am requesting prayers from all my brothers and sisters in Christ.
    I also need prayer for finances as I have been out of work from September of '07. Benefits are very slow in getting caught up and creditors are getting impatient.
    I am optimistic that I might be able to return to work by May of this year. However there is a chance that the arthritis is bad enough that I might have to seek a new career. On that account, please pray that God opens doors. Thank you.

Blessings;

Melvin Hall

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for you physically and financially.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thank you Tom. I am back at home and doing great. The drugs have me some what groggy still but all is well. However I still covet all the prayers for finances and career considerations.

Blessings

Mel

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Financial benefits are still slow coming in. I am begging all who read this to please remember my family in prayer (to the Almighty God who can do anything) as we wait as patiently as we can for supportive income. :praying: :praying: :praying:

Blessings to all;

Mel

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi Mel :1_grouphug:
    Whew...glad you got through the surgery without complications. Praying for you and your family.
    I have a feeling the Lord may open up a door for you to become a paid Pastor, that appears a perfect job for you :saint:
    Love ya & take care of that foot
    Joe

#5 Joe, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thanks Joe,

That means a lot to me. If the Lord opens the door I would be humbled beyond measure. I have been preaching sense I was 18. I have been ordained sense Oct of 86. I have never sought the ministry for a salary. I had an opportunity 19 years ago to go into a local Church that needed a Pastor at the time but did not feel lead to take that duty at that time. Just after a few months that Church got a very good man of God to take over and the Church flourished with his ministry. So I knew I had done the right thing in telling the Pastor's Search Committee that I did not feel lead to fill that pulpit. My son was just an infant and the Lord seemed to say that is what you have been called to do at this time. Plus I was a failure at having to deal with a bus ministry that I was overwhelmed with. How could I handle a whole Church when I can't even handle kids that are brought to Church with out their parents to control them? That was 19 years ago and now my children are grown and I do feel the call to go where ever the Lord may send me.

Currently I am the Associate Pastor at a small Church that is almost 100 years old. Founded in 1916 it is located in Carraway, Florida (unincorporated) 10 miles west of Palatka, Florida, just off state highway 100. When started the community of Carraway had a thriving lumber business that employed many people. A School building that also housed the Church for it's services in it's beginnings. A Post Office, A railroad depot and a motel. The old Church rolls have over 100 names of active members.
    Early in the 1930's the saw mill stopped production and went into bankruptcy. Many of the residents lost their jobs and their properties had to be sold off as tax deeds. A local large land owner with money began to buy up all the tax deeds and many moved out. The land owner put up fences and started a dairy. He employed many folks but it was not enough to rebuild the community.

The school was closed, the motel and depot moved out and the post office consolidated its routes out of Palatka as transportation improved. The Church eventually closed it's doors and did not have services as for what local folks where left either drove to other Churches for services or just did not care. Some time later a preacher started some cottage prayer meetings and built up a few folks that got interested in reopening the Church.

Today the Church struggles. All the residents that are around us for the most part are low income families that continue to move around looking for cheap rentals. Some of the housing here is condemned property. Those that do rent may come for services but within about 3 months have moved out of the area. It is a tough ministry even though we have an out reach ministry none seem to stick. We have 3 regular families that are faithful to the Church and 2 of these families live 15 miles away from the community of this Church. I live within 1/2 mile of it. Of all the folks that permanently live in the area have a church 5 to 20 miles away from the community. We have done door to door out reach and know the nature of the community.

With prayer and legs maybe things will change. Who knows we just may wind up having to take horse and buggy or walk to Church again some day. When that day comes this Church will be right where God wants it to be with it's arms and doors open.

Blessings

Mel

#6 Palatka51, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  7. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Brother Melvin,

I will pray for you tonight. I too have been out of work since the middle of Jan. 08
    Bills do get behind fast. My Wife didn't worry much the first month but now she is starting to worry. I tell her that God has a job for me and sure enough I should know next week. I also willl pray for a fast recovery on your surgery.
    Never give up your Faith in God, He will come through.

God Bless,
    Hawg_427

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I'm right here in the boat with ya Brother. The waves are high and the winds a howlen but I see my Lord a coming, walking on top of the waves. :godisgood:

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Financially, it's been a rough three months for me too. New Construction has slowed down, and the banks aren't giving new loans as easily. Started back to work this week. The school district account will begin soon. I might have to work 8 hours a day myself if I can't afford the employees. One is a really good worker, hate to loose him. Business should pick up overall since the weather has changed, but there is no guarantee.

About your mention of a bus ministry, I doubt you failed. Seems to me, in the two churches I have been involved with, the teens are the most difficult. If they like you, the parent's complain you are too worldly. If the parents like you, then the kids don't like you enough to want to attend. You may have gotten a really difficult group.

I have a feeling you might get called away to Pastor. Your area doesn't sound too promising.

Your posts show a level headed, warm, godly man. I know you don't mean to be funny, but often you are. I laughed outloud at your last post to me. All the makings of a great Pastor imo :praying:

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Benefits are causing us a fit. It is one big headache and I'm wishing I never had come off work. I had no choice though. My feet just wouldn't comply. I feel like I am totally helpless and even useless. Finances are still not in. Please pray, pray, pray.

11. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

The hardest thing for me to remember when my health (or my husband's) was an issue and bills kept piling up was that even when it's late by OUR timetable (or the world's), God's help and answers are always right on time . His watch is just hard to read sometimes.

I will add my prayers, too.:praying:

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I got a check today. Praise God. It was not as much as I had expected as this was for about three weeks pay. I am still missing about 3 weeks. It will take all of it just to get caught up with the bills. So I am still in need of prayer. Thanks for all your prayers.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Got the stitches out today and was given clear direction to start getting out of the boot and to start walking and exercising the right foot. I am so out of shape sense I have been laid up sense October of '07. The swelling is still an issue but the healing is great. I just might be able to return to work by May. :godisgood:

Thanks to all of you that have offered financial help. You are too kind to offer such to someone that you do not even know. Your offers will be noted in your faithful service to our Lord. I have not excepted any of your gracious offers for I really have no immediate needs as I do have insurance coverage and benefits coming in. I just solicit your earnest prayers. There are many more out there that are in worse need than I.

Blessings to all;

Melvin Hall

14. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm so glad to hear this good news, Melvin! And you sound so much happier, too!
    I've been thinking and praying for your poor feet, and it seems God has them on the mend! Don't push yourself, now. Give it a little time.

love,

Sopranette

15. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

"Happy feet. He's got happy feet!"

Yay!!!

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Why do I feel this urgent need to migrate to the South Pole? :smilewinkgrin:

17. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Are ya ready feet? Start walkin!

(I tried to insert a cute photo of marching penguins here, but I obviously haven't mastered that ability yet.:smilewinkgrin: )

18. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Ptl!

and we are still:praying: that you will get all of your monies needed to relieve you
    of your medical expense! And we want to thank you, Palatka51 for your up-dates so we all can rejoice with you!

19. Joe

Joe New Member

That's wonderful news Palatka :godisgood: I'll keep on praying. Hope your not in too much discomfort during exercise

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

My wife (Barbara) and and I went for a walk today. I have been able to get my foot into a shoe sense Monday. So Barbara and I went for a stroll. I limped out about a mile. Feeling fair for now will see about soreness tomorrow. Lord willing I'll do it again. [​IMG][​IMG]

Blessings to all;

Mel