1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Medication vs 'Self" medicating

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This has nothing to do with the topic.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would ask you, where does the Bible say having an illness or brain condition is a sin? It doesn't. So, your "cure" of confessing and forsaking sin has nothing to do with medical ailments. You're applying the wrong cure to the wrong ailment.

Confessing and forsaking sin has to do with one's MORAL condition, not his physical condition.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

But the bible DOES give instructions about dealing with sin and it does not include covering sin with drugs. Confession and forsaking is the only way to deal with sin. The claimed medical conditions today that have to do with behavior problems all are brought on by sin. They do not cause sin in themselves, but are the result of sin. It is the same with alcoholism. A person does not become an alcoholic without first sinning. No one ever become an alcoholic who never took a drink and never got drunk. The same with the claimed medical conditions today. The person has a behavior problem (sin in their life) that is then diagnosed as a medical condition. The problem is that the issue is sin, not a real medical problem. Like the alcoholic who can take medication to hinder the abuse the medication never deals with the real issue, sin. Confessing and forsaking is the only real recovery for sin.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not talking about an illness or brain condition. I am talking about a sin issue. Cancer does not make a person sin. Parkinson's does not cause a person to sin, blindness does not cause a person to sin and so on. Indwelling sin causes a person to sin and the problem is that some in the medical field for monetary purposes are diagnosing sin as a mental illness when it is really just sin that needs to be confessed and forsaken.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have not made, nor do I make such a claim. Sin is never cured by a drug.

I won't presume to know all of what may or may not have been behind your proof.

However, your proof does not support the statement that drugs "mask sin (and) not fix it."

You have posted agreement with drugs being used in severe mental disorders, yet is that not supporting "masking" of some type?

Specifically using ADD as an example, drugs do not "mask" sin, nor do they "fix" the disorder. They aid the afflicted such as glasses aid one who is near sighted and can't see afar off.

Perhaps not in all cases. For medicine is not an exact science - but then neither is physics. Not "work(ing) well" doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

No one is arguing the point that confession and forsaking is the only way to deal with sin.

I would consider that we ALL agree with that statement.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No all here do not agree. That is the problem.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify, and not derail the thread, what mental illness is a sin?

And to keep the thread on track, do you consider any of the original OP list a sin?

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you think that?

I haven't read any posts that would dispute that confession and forsaking sin is the Biblical way.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What do you consider mental illness?

ADD, and ADHD are the same thing basically. OCD. By OPD I assume you mean ODD and yes these are all nothing but sin with another name. It is the Medical professions way to define why people do what they do instead of believing what the bible says. The problem is that it has crept into the church and God is no longer the authority, Doctors are. The cure is confession and forsaking, not drugs.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We DO all agree that we are to confess and forsake our sin. What we DON'T agree with YOU on is your delusion that God has appointed YOU to determine that someone's personal sin has caused their mental disorders.

You are trying to remove the splinter in your brother's eye while there is a sequoia in yours. You are forbidden by God to judge in this way. You are committing a grievous sin and will be judged by the measure you judge others.

(drip, drip, drip :laugh:)

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well then perhaps you need to go back and read the posts. Most are supporting drugs.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are claiming that I am doing what you are doing. :rolleyes: I am simply stating what the bible says and you cannot stand what it says. Drugs mask sin, confession and forsaking heals them.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You have yet to provide ANY scripture that says drugs mask sin. Until you do, you are just another self righteous judge (Pharisee).

14. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Well hallelujah...something on which we agree. However, you need to see that all mental issues are NOT sin issues.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you have not shown that taking a prescribed medication is a sin, nor that the medication itself is a sin.

The posts supporting medication are posted in the light that the believer is in no way relieved of the responsibility of confessing and forsaking sin.

16. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Would you mind defining, in detail please, what possible agregious sins a little two or three year old boy could have possibly committed in his short life that would have caused him to be stricken with ADD?

How about that little four year old girl who washes and washes her hands? Since I don't think she's read Lady Hamlet's soliloquy. "out damn spot", what horrible sin has she committed that God would send OCD her way?

Oh, and how about the person who simply loses his or her temper because someone on the Baptist Board keeps throwing stones at them? Jesus lost his temper at the money changers....did he have unconfessed sin in his life?

I am not advocating drugs as a solution to sin. Never have, never will. I do advocate drugs as a solution to illness. When I have bronchitis I use my inhaler...I'm sick. When I had the shingles I took those blue horse pills faithfully....the itch was terrible and I wanted them gone! I don't get bronchitis, or I didn't get the shingles because of sin in my life. I got them because of SIN IN THE WORLD! It's the same with other illnesses, mental to be specific. Adam fell from grace and sin entered the picture. Mankind has suffered since. We can only treat the symptoms with medication. Only God can provide the cure for sin. However, let me stress here....confessing sin will not cure someone of ADD, OCD, or anything else. God may, or may not, cure someone. It's no different than praying to be cured of cancer.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am saying that there is only one way to overcome sin according to the bible. That is confession and forsaking it.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Drugs mask sin. Confession and forsaking is the only way to overcome sin.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All behavior issues are sin and only confession and forsaking it will bring healing. Drugs mask sin and confession and forsaking heals.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Only confession and forsaking sin is of God. Masking sin is sin as it is impossible to confess and forsake if a person continues to hold on to the sin. Drugs only mask sin, confession and forsaking is the only biblical way to be healed of the sin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.