1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Meeting my first KJVO church goer.

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by GBC Pastor, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Juan the Baptist

Juan the Baptist New Member

From what you say, it seems this man thinks your church is perfect except for that one little detail.

I'm KJVO (which means different things to different people) but compared to other translations, I realize the NKJV isn't "much" different from the KJV.

That being said, (unless you're NKJVO) would it hurt to compromise a little bit for the sake of this man who may have trouble finding a (sane and suitable) KJVO church nearby? I hate to use that word "compromise" but unless you have a personal conviction about using the NKJV exclusively, I see that kind of compromise as a good thing.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Personally I would not change to accommodate a false doctrine.

3. Juan the Baptist

Juan the Baptist New Member

I'd probably feel the same if the tables were turned. But we're not talking about a Mormon and from what I've read, the guy didn't say why he was KJV only/preferred did he?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know some people who said the same thing and shunned all sorts of false teaching and turned towards truth. Sow seed, brother.
    Don't change for one person/family. It's not worth it. We're commanded to reach the 1 lost sheep, but we don't have to sacrifice the 99 in the process.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Plus, I doubt this guy is a lost sheep. He's just a misinformed one. Plus, if you let someone like this into the congregation what other strange doctrines might he try to sway people with?

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree. I was being metaphorical. I wasn't suggesting he was lost, nor that you had to claim him for your church. Just saying that we shouldn't tear down the castle to build a moat. Don't shun your entire congregation to suit man's itching ears for cultural preference.

7. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

I wanted to share a little bit of what happened Sunday. We had a great homecoming service, and this family was there as they had said they would be. Of course we had a guest speaker for homecoming who preached out of KJV which I am sure this family liked! They enjoyed the service and said they would be here this Sunday. We had a chance to sit down and talk during our fellowship that followed, and I shared with him my views on translations other than KJV. He was open and friendly during our conversation even though I told him I only occasionally use the KJV when I preach. We will see how things progress, but I appreciate his openness to visiting our church further to see if this is where the Lord is leading he and his family.

I have used KJV, NKJV, ESV, HCSB, NASB in my preaching over the years, but I have a preference for NKJV. Although I am growing in my affinity for the ESV. But I can't see making such a compromise to change to the KJV. To me at least it would set a bad precedent in my role as pastor. And I think on some level it would give the appearance that I was doing something wrong all these years by preaching out of other translations.

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I am one who stongly perfers the KJ. I feel you are making the correct choice. I do not think you should change what you do for the sake of this one. You must consider what God has done with your ministry and some of the current members may prefer the NKJ. What would you do then.

It sounds like he has probably always used a KJ and may have heard some of the junk out there. It is beginning to run wild in my area mostly due to one powerful evangelist. But this too shall pass.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Congrats to you on handling this maturely...and congrats to the fellow you talked to for hearing you out, and responding in kind.

Maybe they could start some "translations" threads on the BB! :eek: :D :D