1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mega-Disaster in Arkansas Razorback Football

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Jan 16, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OC Malzahn has left due to being told that he would have less to do with the offense next season and will now be the OC at Tulsa. 2005 High school player of the year, Mitch Mustain, is leaving Arkansas to go to Tulsa. Wide receiver Damian Williams has left to go to Southern Cal.

There are rumors that at least two other wideouts and a tight end will be transferring, also.

The Hog offense is toast for next season. I doubt that Mcfadden will even be invited to the Heisman ceremony next season, much less win it.

It is time to clean house in the football program. The entire coaching staff should be let go. Frank Broyles should resign as the AD. This might mean that it will be five years before the Hogs have another winning record, but what has become a mega-disaster needs to end.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Why would they do that? What part of their good season did they not like?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, Malzahn was misled(some would use the term lied) about having full control of the offense when hew as hired as the OC. And several offensive recruits were misled(some would use the term lied) about the kind of offense that the Hogs would be transitioning to.

I don't think anyone expected the Hogs to fully install Malzahn's offensive philosophy in 2006 but evidently Malzahn was told that any further implementation would not be allowed going forward.

Recruiting will now be a mega-mega-disaster when signing day comes around.

Houston Nutt must go. He has totally lost my support and the support of a large portion, if not the majority, of the Hog Nation.

I support the Hogs, but not Nutt.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nutt is only a symptom of the disease. The problems start with Broyles. Both of them must go.

BTW, I know this isn't Hogville, but welcome to the darkside.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

#5 KenH, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some folks seemingly just can't stand success. I've read all kinds of stuff on this and who knows what is true. The one thing I'd have to say though is that if I had McFadden and Jones on my team and a huge, talented offensive line and then had to choose whether I'd let a Freshman start slinging the ball all over the place... I'd have done exactly what Nutt did.

The reality though is that Nutt is probably done unless he pulls out an absolutel miracle season next year... assuming he's the coach come September.

I hate it for you guys. Arkansas finally looked like they were ready to turn the corner and be a perennial competitor for the west. Very unlikely now though.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting quote from Frank Broyles in my 1967 copy of Texas Football in an article on recruiting: "You may get the boy with promises, but you lose a parent, a friend, and eventually you lose the game-- I'd rather just lose the boy at the beginning."

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Thanks to Frank Broyles and Houston Nutt.

By the way, the desire for Hog fans is simply to have a passing attack more modern than the one used by Yale University in 1904. I think the vast majority of folks would have been happy with measurable progress in the passing game over time as Malzahn's ideas were implemented. Instead we get a re-hire of David Lee as the OC and more promises that the passing game will be worked on - "we really mean it this time".

I am no longer buying Houston Nutt's snake oil. He needs to be fired before the week is out. And Frank Broyles needs retire or be forced out.

http://savethehogs.com

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

One version I keep hearing is that there's a former Hogs QB coach who played QB at Vandy (I think his first name is David..mind drawing a blank right now) that Nutt wanted to bring in as co-offensive coordinator. Another version had Nutt giving this chap the play calling duties and leaving Malzahn as just a headset. There are other rumors out there, namely that Malzahn was promised to be the head coach after this year's poor showing, and since that didn't happen, Nutt has been emboldened and Malzahn left because he won't be the Hogs head coach anytime soon.

I can't believe any version that has Houston Nutt as an innocent party. Yet Broyles has guilt written all over the place and Malzahn may be complicit. I am shocked Nutt hasn't taken another job - any job. You normally can't have an opening anywhere without Nutt's name being tied to it. But is it as simple as the three game losing streak at the end of the year catching up to Nutt?

John Wilkerson said it best on the WNML-Knoxville today: can you remember a division-winning coach being on the hot seat (Save for DuBose, and that wasn't for football reasons)? Nutt's seat is about as hot as anyone's in the SEC.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that would be the David Lee that I mentioned. And, yes, that is the true story. Just read this:

www.swtimes.com/articles/2007/01/17/commentary/scott_faldon/faldon01.txt (may have to scroll down the page)

and this by the chief sports columnist in Arkansas:

www.wholehogsports.com/adg/179119/

I think that Malzahn has clean hands in this matter.

Fire Houston Nutt!!!!
    Force Frank Broyles Into Retirement!!!!

#11 KenH, Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) He shouldn't have hired Malzahn. Arkansas is a run-dominated team (and rightfully so, given their talents). There was no reason to get a no-huddle, spread offense OC out of high school other than just to get the recruits. Whether Nutt made the call or Broyles forced his hand, it was a bad decision.

2) He should have worked harder on the passing game. Yes, running is the bread and butter, but you need some condiments too. The last three losses came partly because of the inability to even have a servicable passing game.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Broyles should go. I've never liked Nutt but something is just amiss with this whole deal. Seems like there's enough guilt to go around. I read in the paper today that TE Ben Cleveland (I hope I remembered the name right) is one of the Springdale boys not transferring.

Does Malzahn have head-coaching goals? Just curious.

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

If I recall correctly, they got Frank from Mo. after one year. He was a great coach there. I think he is the only one who every coached them to number one. As AD he has had some good coaches and a few Ar. boy as well. I don't know all there problems but as far back is I can recall they haven't been happy, even when Frank had them on top.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

They were division champs, Ken ---- what else do you want??? They had an impressive season and a bowl appearance

Sounds to me like its one of those disgruntled fanbase that adopts the foolish mentaltiy----

We finished 10-2 but that ain't good enough!!

You gotta look at the teams they're against----Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida-----for a team to finish where they did against who they played----I would call it a pretty fantastic season!!!

Or

Are you just jealous because The Pigs didn't play in the Sugar or over in the Toastedos????

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am disgruntled because Houston Nutt has promised year after year that the next season the Hogs will develop a passing attack more advanced than the one Yale University used in 1904. The new guy he hired to replace Malzahn(whom Nutt was planning to demote) just said the same thing. I no longer buy the snake oil.

I have been a Hog fan since 1964 but as far as I am concerned I hope that the Hogs lose every football game for as long as Houston Nutt is their head coach. Going 0-12 may be the only way to get him relieved of his head coaching duties.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) As I have said on another board, bragging about winning the SEC West is like bragging at a wedding about being a bridesmaid. A division "championship" is meaningless other than as a ticket to the Georgia Dome. No one believes Arkansas was the best team in the Western Division. The best team was LSU.

2) Everyone made a big deal about a "10-win" season as if it meant something. Well, it doesn't. 10/14 is only 71.4% Good, but not stellar. When we had 11 game seasons, 10 wins meant something--90.9%. 9-3 is actually a better record--75%. The 10 wins look even worse when you consider the caliber of some of the opponents (Utah State, SEMO, LA-Monroe) and the "gifts" of inaccurate kicking by Vandy and especially by Bama. The only quality wins I see are South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn.

3) The absolute ineptitude of the offense vs. Wisconsin was downright criminal. With a stifling defense holding UW to negative yards, the Razorbacks still lost. That is unacceptable.

4) Many of the losses came from a lack of discipline, especially on special teams. If they had executed without making stupid mistakes, the LSU, FL, and UW games could have gone the other way. Sure, sometimes you mess up. But the Razorbacks should have won at LEAST one of those three games.

5) If 10-4 is a fantastic season to a Hog fan, then that Hog fan has basically said that "gee whiz, we're just lil' ole' Arkansas! We can't compete with the big boys!"

Bottom Line: anything less than an SEC Championship or a BCS at-large bid is not a fantastic season. At best, it is a good season. I say this season was a good season--above mediocre but not great. We were "a play or two away" from a mediocre season and from a great one.

I don't expect to get a BCS bid every year. That's unrealistic. What isn't unrealistic is to expect that in 9 years of one coach's tenure that a BCS bid should materialize. No other coach in the BCS conferences has been at a school for that long without a single BCS bid.

I was thinking that this year would be the year. I was behind Houston Nutt all season. I thought he was bungling the QB issue, but I still thought we could make it to the Sugar Bowl (and hoping for a shot in Tempe, but I knew that was a long-shot). Right when we got our hopes up, our coaching caught up with us, as it has for 9 years.

#17 StefanM, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't wish that. I hope we go undefeated. I would gladly endorse Nutt as a coach if he can prove that he can take the Hogs to the next level.

If we win the BCS title game, everyone wins. Broyles can go out on top. Nutt can either jump ship to a higher paying job or stay as a proven top-tier coach. I don't think this would happen, but I'd like it to.

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So you "can" Nutt because he won't develop a passing game??

Whats the difference between running the ball past the goal line and passing the ball past the goal line??

If you have a running back that simulates a diesel truck---that can be counted on for 5 yard carries every single time he touches the ball----verses a host of recievers who can't "catch a cold" much less a football---who do you want on your side???

Deliberately telling us that it would be worth 5 years of losing and redevelopment of the program----dude----what a waste of those 5 years.

I say---just give Nutt a little time----retirement bliss in some back woods cabin in Mountain Home or over in Jasper will beckon to him

But to say---you're willing to wait 5 years---and get rid of Nutt now---is a waste of those 5 years. If I'm winning with Nutt at the helm--whether its a passing attack or a running attack--I'm winning

Don't you reckon????

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Running only works against top teams when there is a credible passing threat. Otherwise, you can just stuff the box full of LBs to gum up the run. Also, when McFadden wasn't 100%, Arkansas lost quite a bit of productivity.

Case in point: the opening drive in the bowl game that resulted in no points--McFadden was tackled from behind because he wasn't at 100% in speed. If he had made that touchdown, Arkansas likely would have won the game.

If we were winning SEC championships, I'd say, sure, it doesn't matter how you do it if you win. Bottom line though: UA will NEVER be consistently competitive for the SEC without a serviceable passing game.