1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Megachurch Asks Lawmakers for Its Own Police Force

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “They will conduct their own investigations,” explained Rowe. “They will conduct their own security. They will make their own arrests and instead of calling on the local law enforcement agency to take over the particular situation they're trying to control, they will do that themselves."

I see. So the Reformed version of Sharia Law. Got it.

3. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

If colleges can have their own police forces, why not a church? But, what am I missing? WHY?

They can hire off-duty police that can carry a gun and arrest people. As the article doesn't say much, I had to do a little research. It seems that the church wants full-time security people, which they can't get in the way of off-duty police. Still, why isn't non-police security guards not enough?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm assuming they want their security to have regular police powers. In California, security guards are expected to observe and report. If armed, they are to draw their weapons only in a reactionary mode. I can see the legislature crafting a bill allowing them and others to have a force with police powers. But, such a force should be limited to the church property (they just can't flash their badges around town) and should be accountable to say the county sheriff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think this is a bit different to say the least and can create a lot of problems, additional costs and potential liabilities. I would not advise them to go in this direction. However, Briarwood is not your "typical" church. They have over 4,000 members and a school (two campuses) with almost 2,000 students. When you add pastors, teachers, staff, etc., you are looking at a community - similar to a small college.

Even at our own church, we have armed security guards which patrol the parking lots (three) and grounds during Sunday services, as well as various Bible studies and preschool during the week. Unfortunately, we live in a broken world and bad things happen.