1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Megachurch pastor rejects his father’s bigotry: Jesus would want you to bake a gay wedding cake

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Oh!Oh!Oh! Mr. Gotcha:rolleyes:You just acknowledged an act. And contrary to your act, Scripture says but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That would be YOUR opinion. There is nowhere in Scripture that God says simple attraction is sinful. I'm attracted to other men of God because I'm drawn to the Jesus Christ in them. Is that corrupt?

Little kids are usually attracted to the same sex because they have more interests in common with the same sex than they do with the opposite sex.

Does that mean that the little girl who thinks boys are icky and all her friends are little girls who like to play with Barbies has corrupt attractions?

Nope. She's attracted to something in them that they have in common.

Shoot, you're attracted to Donald Trump because yall share similar philosophies

We weren't talking about sexuality. We were talking about same sex ATTRACTION.

You can deny they exist all you want. The concepts of certain acts exist in Scripture, and if someone just happened to add a term to them today, it doesn't make the act any less real.

So...

You can call them whatever you want, but you don't get to create sin.

Lust is a sin. If you identify as a heterosexual or a homosexual and you lust, the sin is lusting. It is NOT you identifying as having same sex or opposite sex attraction.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Not who that was for ann, but it wasn't my quote on which you commented.:)

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But just imagine the sermon when it came to the part "if anyone objects, let him speak now or forever hold his peace."

We are among sinners. We live among sin. But we do not take a part in sin.

I do not think it is wrong to bake a cake, build a house, sell a cruise ticket, etc. for one of those couples. I would not participate in the wedding, and I do not see providing a common public service as participating in that sin. But if I did, then I would refuse and not try to sue my way out of the consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

IMO, that just makes no sense.

Take this scenario:If I came in and said I want to order a cake that looks like

[​IMG]

but didn't say it was a gay "wedding" cake, that would be okay, and the service would be provided? But the minute I say GAY "wedding" cake, suddenly you can't do it?

Why is it right that you, as a Christian, treat me and my desire for a cake differently than you treat the other sinners who come in to purchase a cake?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now THAT is the type of thing I foresaw. Jesus never did anything to just be doing it. He didn't go to the tax collector's house just to eat. He went to love on them and witness of Himself.

Exactly.

I'll even come to your wedding because I love you. But if you asked me to participate in it, I'd have to lovingly decline.

This is a sword that Christians should not be trying to die on.

Should I not rent a tux or limo or chairs and tables to a gay couple for their "wedding" if I'm in business to rent those things? That's ludicrous. A display of love can go a long way in softening people's hearts to be receptive of the Gospel.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know about wedding cakes, but I could not bump a paying pair off a plane solely based on their lifestyle. That does not mean that I approve.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

In accordance with Scripture,Jesus would have been kind to even the pedophile. For in the same way that people have stigmatized gay people to be the worst of the worst, pedophiles are pegged the same way. It doesn't lessen the heinousness of the sin committed. But Jesus seemed to make it a point to redeem those that people thought were beyond redemption in part to show us that His love does cover a multitude of sin. That doesn't mean that there aren't consequences. But I don't believe that Jesus would be any less loving to someone who had served time for child molestation than he would be for the tax collector.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want that answered, then answer a question previously put to you: If a nazi comes in and orders a cake and says he wants a swastika in decorative frosting on top, would you make that for him?

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Exactly. What would I look like , if I were a travel agent who just happened to be a Christian, and a gay couple came into my business to buy tickets for a plane and vacation package?

Shoot, y'all have a seat. I'll be right with you with our top destination packages and blackout dates. That doesn't mean I agree with a particular sin. I just sold some tickets. I didn't perform a " gay" wedding because Biblically there is no such thing.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope.I make it a point not to cuss either. So if you ask me to place something obscene,crude or distasteful on the cake, I'll let you know, that I can make the cake for you, but I don't put stuff like that on the cakes. I would then give you the names of some other bakeries who may be willing to put what you want on the cake after I make it. I'm an Ephesians 5:4 type guy.

But just ain't anything obscene,crude or distasteful about making a cake for a gay "wedding" unless somebody is asking me to, again, stick something obscene, crude or distasteful on the cake.

I simply would not want to be known as a businessman who did stuff like that. I think the average person would respect that.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I answered your question. But there's a difference between baking a cake and baking a cake and sticking obscene, crude, or distasteful stuff on the cake.

That's not part of my business model.Biggrin

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wait a minute....

What if it's their honeymoon?

*Laff*

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I might give them a discount.:D

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep saying "gay wedding cake" as if there's nothing different about it than a 'regular' wedding cake. That may or may not be the case, as the buyer may want those little models of 2 grooms or 2 brides on top. If you normally place those models on top, are you going to do as they want, or would you stop placing those models on top of the cakes? I don't kn ow what else may go on them-- their names, a rainbow, or what. But that is crude and obscene to me, and I would not do it.Is it to you? And possibly saving a step here, if you say you would do that and it would not mean you personally are endorsing their sin, that leads to the question... why would you refuse to put a symbol of sin-- an "obscene symbol"-- on one cake but you would put a sin symbol on the other?

[Troy, this question is for you, too.]

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There isn't. I'm putting eggs and sugar and flour, baking powder, butter, and some vanilla and some milk in the gay "wedding" cake just as I will with the straight wedding cake.[​IMG]

Shoot, they come in lil plastic bags. I'll stick them on top for them. Or if they want, I'll hand them to them and say place whatever on top of your cake that you want. I might even throw in an extra bag or two and some extra frosting just in case they put the first two on wrong. They can stick a miniature Ferris Wheel on there for all I care. As long as it's not obscene, crude, or distasteful, I'll put it on there for them if it were my business.

If you as a cake baker don't want to put those lil figures on there, then don't. I'd still make the cake for them though. I just don't see a reason to make an issue about the lil figures if I'm gonna bake the cake.

I don't have a problem with the lil figures. If that's what they want, go for it. They're gonna take them off anyhow.
    Do you in general find people's names and rainbows to be crude and obscene? Don't confuse bigotry with crude and obscene.

What sin symbol? The two little men? And since when is pretending to get married a sin?

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In my reading of Jesus' teaching on this matter, it is clear, you bake the cake. Just like we go the extra mile when compelled by an imperialist Roman soldier, a Christian bakes the cake...you sell the groceries, you fill the flower order, you fix the tire.

Now, whether someone in the US should have to violate their conscious when suitable fulfillment it available in the same locality (i.e. another baker) is a different issue. But I don't think we're a Christian nation so...

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is obviously no use going over the same details again, but there are some celebrations of sin you will take part in, and some you won't, as well as that you will promulgate some connotations thereof, while some you won't, while you think some suggestions of sin are obscene while some aren't. If you think you're exempt from having nothing to do with sin, or avoiding even the appearance of evil, that's just it-- you can't communicate on these topics other than by thinking that does not apply to you.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You're right there's no need going over it again. You think what you want and create all the new sins you like. I'll choose to treat people with the love of Christ while attempting to obey the commands and principles that are already there.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Would you bake a cake for a NAMLA celebration?