1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mel Gibson, The Passion of Jesus Christ, and Baptists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by andy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sorry Charlie, disagree strongly with you here.

MEE, it's my understanding that the movie is going to be released each year at this time. I HOPE it comes out on DVD! I certainly would purchase one right away! LOL! I'm as Southern Baptist as they come, too.

Our church is taking the youth and their parents this Thursday night. We already have a very 'on fire' youth group with 60-70 in Wednesday night Bible Study and prayer meetings.

Diane

2. charlie parker

charlie parker New Member

I know :)
    Charlie

3. charlie parker

Just not sure which vs. you disagree with, or is it my claim to a copy of THE Scriptures?
    Charlie

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Charlie, none of us have declared The Passion of the Christ to be straight from scripture but a good movie. Also, we have seen people saved after going to see this movie and being led to the Lord.

Board rules prohibit discussion of 'versions' anywhere except on that specific forum so I was not referring to that remark. Please remember that when posting here.

Thanks!
    Diane

5. charlie parker

Of course I will abide by the rules of the forum, but, I only used the word "versions" I wasnt discussing versions, I notice "NKJV" in your profile, shouldnt you in fairness to the rules delete this?
    Charlie

6. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Hmm....I must not be sincere enough. [​IMG] I see nothing here having to do with the movie or the director's interpretations of things not even mentioned by Scripture. Surely you are not claiming that the Bible is exhaustive history, are you? Also, please use Scripture correctly. The verses you quoted refer to the book of Revelation alone, not the entire Bible. So you should have major problems with all these end-times films and books all over the place, not Mel Gibson's movie. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Charlie Parker said: Now, for those unfortunate christians who do not have a copy of THE Scriptures, Im sure they dont know that the Scriptures are being added and subtracted to and from, sincethey only have "reliable translations" But God has graciously supplied THE Scriptures to all who believe his words that he superentended in inspiration and preservation, So, we that have THE Scriptures have no trouble spotting monkey tracks when monkeys monkey with the Scriptures.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Please note, Diane said "discussion," not mention of versions. So no, she should not delete the reference from her profile, since that is not a dicussion she is carrying on. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The only reference in my profile to NKJV is where it asks my favorite Bible verse. Thanks Neal.

Diane

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps this is one of the most accurate portrayals of the movie yet; one that draws the line between those that agree with it and those that disagree with it.
    It is only a movie.

Yes it is. If it is ONLY a movie you can do whatever you want with it--throw in some witchcraft (Harry Potter stuff), bird plucking eyes scenes, emphasis on Mary and son, and all kinds of things. After all it is only a movie. I can agree with that. If that is your perspective, you can do what you want with it.

However, if the director's purpose was to make an accurate portrayal of the death, the suffering of Jesus Christ, and portray to the public the gospel message according to the Bible, then he failed. There were too many inaccuracies.

Take another movie for an example. Ben-Hur was a good movie. It was only a story, not necessarily Biblical. It didn't really happen. It was made up. But it still had a message to it. The message is weak and watered down. But it never claimed to be the gospel truth. It never claimed to be a story about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, although some of it was in there. The plot of the story centered around two figures entirely apart from Christ. I hope you can understand what I am saying here. The movie was a story with some Biblical truth in it.

This is supposed to be a presentation of the death of Christ as it really is--the passion of Christ as historically and accurately true to the facts as one can get. Read the reviews on it. If it is historically true and accurate, then why add that which is not true and accurate?
    Furthermore, every gospel account of the death of Christ is climaxed with the resurrection of Christ. The apostles spent more time in their messages on the resurrection then they did on the death of Christ. How much of this movie is spent on the resurrection? If Christ is not raised our faith is in vain. We do not serve a dead Saviour.

One must also ask the question: did the gospel message really get across accurately? Many say that there were decisions that were already made. People have been vastly affected by this movie. No doubt all of that is true. But have those decisions been made by a conviction of the Holy Spirit, or by pure sentiment and the emotional appeal of the movie? Only time will tell.
    Both Charile and Lorelei have raised some valid points. I don't think that they should be dismissed lightly simply on the basis that "I liked the movie." That's pretty lame.
    DHK

11. charlie parker

I am a member of an Independent, Fundamental,Baptist church not a convention church as such our pastor is eleceted by the adult male members, the deacons are appointed by the pastor and their office is to assist the pastor in any way that he requires, they have no power to hire, fire, or instruct the pastor in any way, I havent discussed this movie with my pastor but have no doubt at all that he would expell any adult member that came into the church advocating the viewing of it, and he would do this swith the approval of the entire congregation.You see, Seperation is a bible doctrine, and the simple definition of doctrine is "truth". anyone wanting to see the truth that Hollywood produces need look no further than Colimbine high school just to mention one instance. I think the title of the movie is very interesting, The Passion of The Christ, of course the word of God tells us that there are two christs, (christ means annointed) There is the Holy, Sinless, annointed Son of God and there is the annointed Cherub, Satan, The annointed father of Gibsons church and movie is in my opinion, the latter,

12. charlie parker

Neal, Im not sure how books got into the discussion, but you are right about the "end time films" the left behind film that has replaced holy writ for so many is as corrupt as Mels masterpiece of disinformation, I will not presume that your sincerety is in any way lacking, but, If you really think that the admonishons in the Book of the Revelations of Jesus Christ only apply to the book of Revelations,I will most certainlly question your ability to "rightly divide the word of truth" The Prophecy spoken of in Rev.22:18-19 begin in Genesis 3:15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.and culminate with the vss quoted. Any extra biblical additions and subtractions are after all, adding to and taking away and will most certainlly be held accountible.
    Charlie

13. charlie parker

quote:
    Please note, Diane said "discussion," not mention of versions. So no, she should not delete the reference from her profile, since that is not a dicussion she is carrying on. &lt;&lt;&lt;

Now if some kind soul will point out to me where I "discussed" version in my post I will be very careful to avoid making the same mistake in the future--thanks
    Charlie

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Charlie said: If you really think that the admonishons in the Book of the Revelations of Jesus Christ only apply to the book of Revelations, I will most certainlly question your ability to "rightly divide the word of truth"

Charlie, we had a very active discussion on this just a few weeks ago. You might do a search. It was split in thought but good reading. [​IMG] Search under Revelation tho. No 's'.

Diane

15. cotton

cotton New Member

DHK- I did see a resurrection scene at the very end-it did show Him raised!

Wow Charlie; I thought I was a tough critic!

I went with the wife to see this movie; I really didn't want to go because I knew I would be overly critical (mentally); I mean I can't help it, when I'm passionate (no pun intended) about something, I want it to be right! The problem is, if all of us made our own movie, would each of us be critical about some point or another? would we all agree on how things 'went down'? I mean for a Catholic (Latin rite even!) version to be as accurate as it was, we should be thankfull (Catholic friends please don't be angry with my left handed compliment-I meant no offense)!
    My wife was very blessed by this movie; I believe most Mothers can't help but be moved by this! I mean does a parent ever out grow their child? Sure the 'visionary and icon traditions were there, but my wife didn't even know what these were until I (purist police that I am!) pointed these out. No I don't view it as historically perfect, but compared to most efforts (and what it could have been) it was most definitely a step in the right direction.
    Cotton

16. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

FYI:

This film was not produced by Hollywood, in any way. It was produced by an individual, with this individuals own money.

Mel Gibson following Satan...naw...I don't think so, although it's very sad that you could think so.

17. charlie parker

I will be happy to stop this anytime,beating a dead horse profiteth nothing (charlie parker version) but,(theres that agravating word again) but----Hollywood produced Mell Gibson sooooooApples come off apple trees, at least, thats what Gods Christ said. and He has won every argument Ive ever had with Him.
    Charlie

18. charlie parker

Thank you for the information Diane, Im afraid Im having trouble finding my way around in here but I will try to get to the discussions you mentioned Im sure they are very interesting and informitive, thanks again
    Charlie

19. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

try, Gibson was created by God, backslide (as Baptists would call it), and then God got ahold of him. Now Gibson's doing things to please God, not men.

I can stop this any time too, Charlie, cause truth is truth, and always will be truth.

Get facts straight please...

Have you seen Gibson's interviews, read his testimony? Just because someone has been in Hollywood does not make them Hollywood.

20. charlie parker

&gt;&gt;&gt;Have you seen Gibson's interviews, read his testimony? Just because someone has been in Hollywood does not make them Hollywood.&lt;&lt;&lt;

Yes I have, now I will answer your question with a question, have you heard Mother Teresa's salvation testimony? Here was a woman who devoted her entire life to suffering humanity and to her church, and to spreading "the gospel" She said on international television that she was depending upon the grace and mercy of the "blessed virgin" and to Jesus Christ for her salvation, Now, If that is true, and if she died with that testimony she is in Hell screaming for mercy that will never come. It is my hearts hope that she didnt die in that condition. Gods command to New Testament believers is " Mark 16:15  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Not "entertain the masses" The New Testament Gospel is found in 1 Corinthians 15:3  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and
    15:4  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

Charlie