1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Melania Trump Plaigerizes Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair is fair. Obama is not currently running for office to be the future president. If he plairized it is old news. This is new news and has to do with a possible future president. Trump and his campaign group seem unable to tell the truth and admits a mistake ... though one of their speech writers has said she is at fault and it was plagiarism. If this is the brightest and best he can surround himself with, then we are in very deep trouble if he is elected president. Who will he blame when there is no Hillary around to blame. I guess all his problems will be caused by the media and not by his and his teams poor decisions.

Follow the link and look at his false statements. False being a polite word for lie.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/

Then look at even worse lies, pants on fire:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/pants-fire/

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The media is spending more time doing a forensic analysis of Melania's speech than the FBI spent on Hillary's emails." ~ Donald Trump

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for it being old news, it reminds me of the European adage:
    To Americans 100 kilometers (62 miles) is a short distance and 100 years is a long time.​

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You are comparing words to cyanide? This is called Trump derangement syndrome.

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For someone who claims to not support him, you seem to defend him a lot.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, I edited the original wording which was slightly barnyard. But, it does follow a common (at least in my circle) saying in dealing with heresy.
    A 8 oz. glass of water with 1 percent of strychnine will still kill you; even though it's 99 percent pure.​

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK knowing a little bit about this from another venue - one account showed the sentences that Melania spoke and then Michelle's original sentences and in each case at least one word was different which technically speaking probably absolves a plagiarism charge. It was an obvious copy situation but technically would probably fall down in court.

Any lawyers or para-legals out there to verify this?

Having been a software engineer for over 40 years when a charge of source code copyright violation is issued against a programmer a board reviews the two source codes and it takes very little in command source code difference to prove against plagiarism. That's why I don't think it would hold up in court and why I'd like (if possible) a lawyer or para-legal to comment. It may be different for a speech but the principle seems the same.

A lot depends upon the object of the program e.g. a payroll program which calculates wages, tax withholding, etc being so standardized it would be nearly impossible to prove plagiarism.

As for comparing words to poison, who decides when a string of identical words is used that it is deliberate and not coincidental which has been a long time plague in the creation of software and similar source code commands.

With Melania it was fairly obvious and then later attested to that it was a form of plagiarism probably not provable in court (apart from the confession).

HankD

#87 HankD, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that you have a reading comprehension problem. I said nothing about either one being better or no better than the other. I said if one is pilloried the other must also be pilloried. What part of that is so difficult to understand?

10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, I'm not an attorney either but I have a good friend that is one. He agrees that there probably isn't a case here but in this state (WA), you have to pass a special bar for patent/copyright attorneys, and he didn't, he is a enviromental attorney, lol.

CBT, careful climbing out on that morality tree - remember who your candidate is.

Light, Obama's lapse is probably worse just because he was actually on the ticket, he headed it up. Trump's campaign might have not known what was going on right after the speech and I'm still not sure it wasn't planned by them from what he said about the later uproar.

• Like Like x 1
  11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not. In this case no double standard means they are equivalently culpable. If you call one a plagiarizer you must call the other one a plagiarizer. One is not better than the other. Easy, peasy.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, are you willing to label Mr. Obama a plagiarizer?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it simply means they are to be treated the same. If Obama's faux pas is overlooked then so should Mrs. Trump's. If Mrs. Trump is to be pilloried then so should Mr. Obama be pilloried.

That has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. It is about how they are to be treated.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. I remember he was accused of plagiarism when he was running in 2008. I agreed with the accusations back then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your clarification.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama was accused of plagiarism: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-accused-of-plagiarism-in-speech. Oh what short memories we have.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a preacher you should know that words can be very lethal or very healing.

18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As with every situation, investigative judgement and context must be considered. According to the facts revealed afterwards, it looks like it was an honest oversight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honest oversight? Melania told her speechwriter she liked Michelle Obama so the speechwriter looked up Obama's speech from the 2008 DNC, copied some phrases and put them into Trump's speech. That's not an oversight, that's the very definition plagiarism.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From what i Heard in the news reporting, the speech writer explained how the exact lines where missed and not reworded, and that Melania shared the same sentiments. Seems trivial to me, even if Obama would have done it.

• Agree Agree x 1