1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Melchisedec: Jesus preincarnate?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by BrianT, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Aaron, I meant that Melchisadec was temporary in the fact that he was not always on the earth. I believe that he exists today because he is the preincarnate Christ.

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, but not by using scripture. ;) Because scripture simply doesn't say that Melchisedec was Jesus or even a theophany. Like I said, you're reading into these passages, trying to make them say much more than they actually do.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Can you point out those passages I have ignored?

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Can you point out those passages I have ignored?</font>[/QUOTE]You misunderstand what I meant. What I mean is, you can "answer every objection" from opinion and making arguments that scripture doesn't make. Scripture doesn't say Melchisedec was Jesus, it doesn't say he was a theophany. Yes, you have an "answer" to all objections, but your answers are not from scripture but from opinion.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Can you point out those passages I have ignored?</font>[/QUOTE]You misunderstand what I meant. What I mean is, you can "answer every objection" from opinion and making arguments that scripture doesn't make. Scripture doesn't say Melchisedec was Jesus, it doesn't say he was a theophany. Yes, you have an "answer" to all objections, but your answers are not from scripture but from opinion.</font>[/QUOTE]I gotcha now. I realize Scripture doesn't explicitly say that he is Christ. What I am saying is that based on the information it does give, it is certainly reasonable to say that he is the Christ.

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

[ December 25, 2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Sherrie ]

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Why not simply some guy who's name was actually Melchisedec? Or does that just ruin the fun? ;)

I don't understand your question.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I warned ya. Now I am forced to practice 37th degree separation from you. :rolleyes:

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

[ December 25, 2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Sherrie ]

10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Um, I think it's reasonable to understand that when the Bible mentions someone by name, that is there was a person by that name. If not, maybe I shall believe that Noah is really Job, Peter is really Caesar Augustus, and Mary was really Esther. Afterall, there are no scriptures that say they aren't. :rolleyes:

Don't make scripture say more than it does, that's my point.

11. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

[ December 25, 2002, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Sherrie ]

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Really? How can I be sure you are also not someone else?

Oh come on. :rolleyes: That's not what I'm saying, don't be so overdramatic. It's fine to wonder about it. Just don't be dogmatic about it when scripture isn't.

I'm content that the Bible didn't explicitly solve this minor riddle, and I'm content to believe that since the Bible names a priest in the OT named Melchisedec, there was a priest in the OT named Melchisedec.

13. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Well Brian, since you apparently refuse to study the Bible, you must not be saved. [​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

14. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yeah, that's it. ;) [​IMG] Or maybe I'm just studying the wrong one: the one that doesn't say Jesus is Melchisedec. What version are you using? :D

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Why do you have to bring up versions? You KJVO are always talking about versions. :mad: [​IMG]

16. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Brian if you will read the posts instead of always going against what I believe then you should note that you are the one being more dogmatic on this issue. I agree that the Bible does not specifically say that Mel is Jesus but I believe the evidence along with the spirit within me tells me that it is true. If you wish to believe otherwise then so be it. I call your attention to your mockery of my suggestion that we can ask Jesus when we get to Heaven. I think you replied that there is no reason to ask because scripture is clear on the issue, well which is it? in one instance you say it is clear but here you say that the Bible is not specific on this question. As to your point that Mel was just a man in the OT then please explain how he was King of rightousness and king of peace and why Abe gave him tithes and accepted a blessing from him. I personally don't see this happening if he is just a regular man. I will accept your contempt concerning my reading into scripture, by the way I feel that the 4th man in the furnace was also Jesus.
    Murph

17. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes Murphy, my main goal in life is to oppose you at every turn. You have discovered my secret ploy, my reason for living. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just be glad I didn't mention that I find it highly amusing that Melchisedec didn't have a problem with wine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy Holidays, I'm out like egg-nog at a fundamentalist Christ-mass eve service. ;)

18. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Thanks Brian but remember he did have bread. I wonder if it was crispy cremes? ha. ha.

Merry Christmas my brother. I Pray this will be the best one yet.
    Murph

By the way when you have time I would like you to answer my questions concerning your view on Mel.

19. Sularis

Sularis Member

I wander into this thread and I laughed, I cried, it was better than CATS!

Here's my view and IMHO the only true correct one [​IMG]

The tabernacle was a shadow of heavenly things
    perhaps Melchizedek was the same for Jesus

Adam was as God in His image but not God - and not a priest nor a king

Melchizedek - never gave birth to any ancestors of Christ

What he did was establish an order (think Catholic folks) that Christ entered

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have yet to see your Scriptural evidence for saying Melchizedek is in the lineage of Christ.