1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Melchizedek (Melchisedec) - Jesus or Shem, or?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by beameup, Mar 12, 2016.

1. beameup

beameup Member

So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec (Melchizedek). Hebrews 5:5-6

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec. (Melchizedek). Hebrews 5:8-10

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some view Melchisadec in such a way as to confuse roles: he was an Old Testament, Pre-Law, Priest of God, not someone Christ is patterned after, and not, in my view, a Christophany.

The point to the Hebrews is that Priesthood was not solely Levitical, and that the Levitical Priesthood itself had a type which preceded it. They had to admit that Scripture presents Melchisadec as a Priest of the Most High God, despite the fact that it was not an appointment that was through heritage.

This would mean more to the Hebrews under Law, than it would for us in this day, because we have never had an ingrained understanding of Priesthood as they did.

When the writer mentions that Levi paid tithes to Melchisadec, this would be similar to a Jew telling a Gentile, "You realize that the first Christians were Jews, right?"

To which we respond "You realize the first Jews were Gentiles, right?"

Melchisadec was, in my opinion, only a man. He was a type, not the reality. When the Writer speaks of the Order of Melchisadec, it is not to suggest that Christ follows the example of Melchisadec in His Priesthood, it is simply illustrating Christ was not of the order of Levi, yet is still to be considered valid in His Priesthood, even as Melchisadec was.

It is another attempt to show the temporary nature of the Law.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may come as a shock but we agree. Now let me ask.

I emboldened a part of your post.

Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

That in all things he might have the preeminence. from Col 1:18 Does that not also apply to Christ and Melchisedec, relative to the order of high priest, Christ is actually the first of that order, not Melchisedec?

#3 percho, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Excellent post, It not only shows the temporary effect of the Law (from Moses to Jesus) but the permanent Priesthood of Jesus as compared to the rotational service basis of temple priests

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a matter of first, just as the Levitical Priests are not considered the "first." They are a type. They prefigure the reality that only Christ brings.

No matter how great Melchisadec was, he is not Christ. Some just get the idea that Melchisadec sets the pattern and Christ followed it, when the reverse is true.

And I am not sure how you find Colossians 1:18 is relevant.

God bless.

6. beameup

beameup Member

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the fulfillment of Exodus 19:6 during the Millennial Reign of Messiah would put every Israeli male under "the order of Melchizedek" (including Yeshua Messiah), with the exception of the Levitical Priesthood centered around Jerusalem? [see Ezek 40-48]
    And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Exodus 19:6

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the reverse, that Mel will follow? Is it not the resurrection from the dead? What exactly is, after the order of Mel?