1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

membership \ baptismal classes

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by rm1980, Apr 23, 2008.

1. rm1980

rm1980 New Member

Just new to pastoral ministry and have a few people interested in baptism, also a few baptised believers who are not yet in membership.

My plan was to pull together my own resources for baptismal classes, but would quite like to see other resources to give me ideas- does anyone know of such resources, or does anyone have good advice on preparing people for baptism and membership?..

Many thanks all,

:thumbs:

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't mind digging try the following links, both have a lot of resources.

I would include the basics of the Gospel, giving, membership purpose, baptism, Lord's Table etc. depending on how long a series you need. Under the topics you pick there are tons of resources online and probably in your file cabinet to assist in making up the study.

http://www.hm.org/materials.htm
    http://www.bible.org

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may want to look at the stuff from very different sources: saddleback and Mark Dever in Washington DC. I know that they have specific, howbeit different, steps towards membership.

IMHO, there only step before Baptism is salvation, not a class. We ought to make certain of their salvation (as much as we can), but the Biblical process was when they believed they were baptized, often immediately. Membership is something different and ought to require an understanding of what the church believes and what is expected of a member.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    should have posted the links

9 marks this talks about the 6th of 9 (sounds like the Borg) :laugh:

Here is some information about the membership classes at willow Creek community church

Not endorsing, just informing

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree the three are different but yet all need to be done in our generation. Salvation is normally followed by baptism, but baptism should be understood before being done. If the person grasps the concept, sure do it immediately.

Sure wish the guy that dunked me had gotten the sequence straight so I wouldn't have had to do it again :laugh:

Raised in a Christian church and got dunked young and had no idea what the gospel was nor what baptism was other than it was what we did and that mom pushed me out into the aisle one morning to get me to go do it. Didn't that morning but did shortly after - not one word of explanation or question as to why I wanted to get baptized.

Now when Peter, Paul and the others preached I'd guess they all knew what the dunking part was about. :thumbs: