Membership

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by freakpastor, Mar 30, 2004.

1. freakpastor

freakpastor
    Expand Collapse

We have several people in our church who see no need to "join" the church through letter or statement. I have shared with them that to have a vote or voice in the matters concerning our congregation's directions and choices the "membership" would be beneficial.

These same people enjoy worship with us and even help with some ministries.

Our pastor is hoping to visit with them this week, but I fear if pushed too hard on this topic they may distance themselves.

Do you have any other reason why one should be a "memeber" of the local church body?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony
    Expand Collapse

The issue of church membership can be a sticky issue for some people, especially for those who have had trouble in a former church. Also for those who feel like the membership process in many SBC churches (ie. voting) seems like they are joining a club. In our church we do not vote in anyone. If they feel led to become a part of our church family, we welcome them in with open arms. This is done after myself or another minister have talked with them and shared what it means to be apart of our church and had them share of their relationship with Jesus. We do ask people to become members not to increase our roles, but it is a matter of accountablility. Our church wants to be accountable to them and they need to know that they are accountable to us. How can we know they want that kind of relationship with us unless there is a public proclaimation of that. I hope that gives a little insight of our reason for asking people to become a part of our church. God bless you all as you serve Him.

Bro Tony

3. superdave

superdave
    Expand Collapse

From the church's standpoint, it is important for those who work in ministry be members. Our church cannot allow non-members to work in ministries for insurance reasons.

I agree Tony, Accountability is the major non-pragmatic reason for church membership.

Plus it is an indicator of commitment. If you don't feel you can commit to a church that strongly, than you better find another one, or deal with your own problems, cause something ain't right

4. freeatlast

freeatlast
    Expand Collapse

freakpastor
    I am in that exact position. Over the years I have been a member of several churches, all Baptist. I am still on the roll of one in another town, but the one I am now attending I am not a member. Here is the reason. While I do enjoy the fellowship of the people I am afraid that I do not agree with much of what goes on in the church's today. For the most part they are very worldly. The Pastors are just not leading them in New testament teachings, yet I am commanded to attend in Hebrews so I attend but have not joined since I feel I would be indirectly advocating that what goes on in the church as being correct.

Someone might say then why don't I find a church that teaches the word. Believe me I wish I could find one. Also someone mght say that I should join to serve. I have a small ministry myself so the joining is not needed for service. I am just not interested in being on another role just for the purpose of saying I am a member.