1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorial Gifts

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often in an obit - a request will be made to support a non-profit organization. Many gifts are made as requested.

However, suppose you had a very good friend who made such a request (in the obit) but the organization was a group such as Catholic charities, Saint (fill in the blank ) Roman Catholic Church, Plannned Parenthood, ect

What would you do ?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't send it. We suggested for my FIL's funeral that people donate to the church for the new church building and only a few people donated. I would probably just send a card.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yep, Ann is right. Don't send it.

When I was doing my supervised hours toward my license, I worked for an organization that urged contributions to United Way. I refuse to give money to United Way, so I went to the executive director of the non-profit umbrella organization and asked if it would be appropriate for me, instead, to donate to the treatment program directly with what I would be expected to give to UW. He thought that was an excellent idea. He told me later he did the same thing.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is off OP just a bit but (its okay) but you might want to check with the United Way. Its possible that any contribution you make directly to an organization- that amount may be deducted from the total amount that organization would otherwise receive - not sure, but check it out.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What individual organizations fund raise on their own has no bearing on what they receive from the United Way. I used to work for an organization based on the UW.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

True, but my desire to support the organization meant more to the ED than being strictly insistent that if I was going to participate, I participate through UW.

Years and years ago in another life, I worked for an employer who gave me a UW pledge form to fill out and I declined. They thereupon raised my salary the requisite 1% and proceeded to take it out of my pay so they could brag they had 100% employee participation in the fund drive. :rolleyes:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Fun times. I don't donate anywhere that I don't want to donate to.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If I didn't want to support a cause that is in the request of those/family that died, I wouldn't. I might honor at another place or send a card.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Way back in '63, I think it was, I was a 2nd John in the US army, & I was designated the "United Way" rep for my company.
    I had all good intentions to do a jam-up job in this endeavor.
    HOWEVER, at a planning meeting with the UW reps we were instructed to turn in a list of those who "declined the offer to contribute."
    The purpose of this, we were told, was so that "these soldiers would be given another opportunity to contribute."
    At that point I decided to do the absolute minimum I could to garner ANY contributions for this friggin organization.
    Donated to them before this instance, and, had I not been in on the planning stage here, may still be - but none since then.
    So much for volunteer donations!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Oh!! One other thing - they had the audacity to "SUGGEST" how much you should give as "YOUR FAIR SHARE"!!! One more nail in the coffin of their credibility IMHO.

Democratic (party) principles in full bloom here, though I did not recognize the political implications back then.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stll have a DA form 2496 (DF) that my OIC filled out that 100% of the troops gave to the CFC (United Way). Come to find out the good Cpt donated $1 in my name to claim thatev ever so precious 100%

On year, I wrote a Check fow AWANA, but it was rejected, becaue at the time, AWANA was not an authorized agy of the CFC.

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, gotta keep the brass looking good!!!:sleep::sleep::sleep: