1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorization or Meditation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tim, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim New Member

Obviously we can do both, but which is more important? Memorizing scripture--so we can say it by heart, or meditating on scripture so it penetrates our heart?

Sorry if the question sounds a little weighted, but I'm becoming less and less convinced of the value of mere memorization. Perhaps too much emphasis on that diminishes the significance of "mulling over" the scripture until we've properly digested it.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I can only speak for myself. I have to meditate on a verse or I don't usually remember it.

OTOH, Corrie Ten Boom had nothing BUT her memorized verses to sustain her for many years.

I believe that daily reading of the Bible and reading the same verses automatically lead to memorization.

Blessings,
    Sue

3. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Hi Guys, One of my favorite verses (which I've memorized) kind of explains it to me. It is Psalm 119:11, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." We must memorize the verse (or somehow keep it before us), so that we can meditate on it until we apply it to our own lives. I believe a verse "hid in mine heart" is a verse applied to my own life. Memorization and meditation are equally important because they both lead to "application" IMHO. Also, memorization of God's Word can help us know truth when our Bibles aren't accessible. In Christ, WT

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

"Information without meditation, brings no transformation."

[​IMG]
    Sue

5. Tim

Tim New Member

Sue,

You picked up my point here. Too many times memorization becomes a goal in and of itself. But being able to "rattle off" tons of verses and references do not necessarily do anything for a man's heart.

In Christ,

Tim

6. Barbell

Barbell New Member

My oldest son has an awesome memory! He can quote scripture better than anyone in the family! The problem is he gets "puffed up" with his knowledge. The Lord has had to gently pop him a few times. Now he is more concerned with living it that quoting it at other people.

Then my other son can't memorized scripture wortha hoot. Both of my son's attended a club at church that revolved around memorizing scripture. Within this program you can only have two helps or you do not continue to the next verse. One night when I was helping my youngest he became frustrated because he couldn't memorize it and it was his third week. When I had to help him he took his book and threw it across the room and said, "I HATE memorizing scripture!"

Needless to say we backed WAY off attending the club. That was two years ago. He is just now coming to God's word to understand it and live it. He said the other night (after getting his hands on THE MESSAGE translation) that God writes HIS word on his heart, it just isn't alway the exact words found in the NKJV. I hugged him and said God was so pleased to have him back at His table.

I have a difficult time memorize scripture too. My Lord is faithful to His word, He had written His Word on my heart He just doesn't put the reference! Now I know why my Lord placed me in this time of history, so I could have a Strong's concordance!

Walking with you in love, [​IMG]
    Barbell

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Without memorization we would have nothing on which to meditate.

BUT, just because we memorize something DOES NOT imply that we must meditate on it. My brother-in-law won free trips to camp as a kid for memorizing verses. But like multiplication tables or ABC's, it was head knowledge with no internal impact.

He is a new age buddhist today.

MEDITATION gets my vote. [​IMG]

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Of course, meditation is MORE important than memorization. Just as Dr. Bob said about the multiplication tables, application is more important than knwing by rote, but, can you imagine having to look it up in a math book everytime you wanted to know what 8 X 9 was. Memorizing just for the sake of memorizing is not useful BUT memorizing those verses that you USE is quite useful. How much easier is witnessing when you don't have to stumble with , "uh...it is sonmething like this...Im not sure EXACTLY what it says but,...". Sounds real confident, doesn't it? How much more convincing to be able to say, "THIS is what the Bible says, (and then quote it)".