1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorization???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by untangled, Nov 26, 2004.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Brothers and Sisters,

I read my Bible, study it and do it consistently. However, I have a problem. I can't ever seem to remember chapter and verse. I know a man that could quote the Bible in his sleep. You start about any verse he can finish it and then tell what chapter and verse. I honestly have been studying God's Word for years and know it but can not remember where certain things are at. I might can quote ten verses without error but that's all. Any advice on memorization? I feel stupid going to seminary not being able to find the exact verse to support biblical truth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IN Christ,

Brooks

2. Shed

Shed New Member

Hello Brooks,

When I received the Lord as my Saviour 10 years ago, I saw learning the Word of God as an important part of my development. In order to remember certain scriptures, I would write them on a piece of paper and put it in my pocket. I would look for opportunities all that day to apply the scriptures in my daily life. I find that when I actually apply scriptures to my life, I learn them faster.

I hope it works for you!

Shed

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I have always had a hard time with references also. I have solved this with a palm pilot and bible software. I can remember the text of the verse, enter it into the search option and up comes the verse. There are many ways to try to memorize the reference, but some people will always struggle with it. Ps. 119:11 says to hide God's Word. References are man's addition.

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the help. I remember what I read but sometimes forget exactly where it is. I like the idea of putting a verse in my pocket and reading it as much as possible. I'll actually start doing that.

Thanks Pastor J and Shed

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Have you heard of the "Navigators," an interdenominational group like Campus Crusade that works among university students. They have a good memorization program that teach some good princples in memorizing Scripture.
    DHK

6. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

DHK,

How do you find the information on their program? I have been memorizing scriptures but it seems like my mind is starting to have trouble keeping them there. Thanks!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Try bite sizing your memory work.You can't do it all at once.
    Pick the scriptures you want to memorize first.
    Write the verse 3 times each day. say the verse 3 times each day.Only memorize 2 verses each week.You will find ways to use the verses during your day.
    At the end of one year you will have memorized 104 verses, at the end of 5 years you will have memorized 520 verses.This is not phenominal but it is practical and it does work.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I learned most of my Bible Verses thrugh the AWANA YOURTH ASSOCIATION.
    I would write (actually type) the verses on a 3x5 card. Thoughout the day, I would look at it, and just recited the verse numerous times. In addition, I would learn one phrase of a verse at a time. Also each time I would recited the chapter and verse, before and after, the passage.
    Repitition was the key.

Thine word have I hid in my heart... Ps 119:11

May the Lord truly bless you as you commit His Word to memory.

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Rather than trying to just memorize the entire Bible, I would suggest getting one of those little pocket, electronic Bible thing-ies.

Our Pastor uses it to look up verses that he can not find.

Just type in a word or two, or verses, and it will look it up for you. Like the same way biblegateway.com does it on the computer.

Some people just don't have a memory for certain things. I am one of those people as well.

If I didn't have a concordance in my Bible I would lose my mind.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I set it to music and can remember if well. If I dont do that, I wont remember it after a week. :(

12. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That which I memorized as a child is what is best etched in my brain.
    But even with that, the biggest problem is remembering the references. I guess that's similar to the problem I have with names. I can remember people - things about them - but not their names unless I see them regularly.

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Debby,

I find that things I did as a child are stuck in my memory over things I learned yesterday. I can name all my elementary teachers and remember what they look like but hardly any from high school!

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe every vet of this board knows my view of the KJVO myth, but IMO the main reason for using the KJV, whether exclusively or not, is that it's much easier for us to remember whole verses or sets of verses from it. That's because its English is not OUR everyday English, & the archaic English stands out better in our minds. While typing these posts, I have several BVs close at hand as well as the electronic Bibles.(However, NOTHING to me beats just sitting down with a Bible and reading it!)

I cannot remember a lotta verses verbatim from ANY BV, but if I hear some old name or a given belief or doctrine, I instantly know if it's in Scripture or not. Verbatim memorization is great, but APPLYING THE COMMANDMENTS AND TEACHINGS found therein is the most important thing.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Another reason for that is just plain consistency. It is hard enough to remeber the reference, let alone the translation it came from. Since most people use the KJV, it is just better to memorize in the KJV.

Another principle is: "If you don't use it, you'll lose it," principle. Use the verses you memorizes. Use them in witnessing, or in conversation if they have been a blessing to you. Preachers have more opportunity to do this than others, since they can incorporate those that they have memorized into their messages. It comes naturally.

Many S.S programs have verse memorization from Sunday to Sunday. A verse is memorized (perhaps Saturday night or Sunday morning), or even right in the class, and forgotten by Monday.
    By repeating the reference before and after the verse each time you say it, and doing it every day, you get the verse from your short term memory into your long term memory (like your address and telephone number), which ought to be your goal. Giving the verse a topic makes it easier as well, for our mind categorizes things like a computer, and has a search engine. It is much easier for the mind to searh for the mind to search for a topic on "peace" then just references. Try to give a topic to each verse, and memorize that along with the reference. It isn't difficult. It actually makes it easier. The key is: repetition, repetition, repetition. I once had such a monotonous and tedious job at a factory during one summer, where I didn't have to use my mind for anything but pulling down a lever every few seconds, that I was able to memorize the entire Book of Romans. I can't quote it all now because I haven't had the time to review the whole book every day, or every once in a while. But it is there in my mind somewhere. My search engine just isn't working very good at times.
    DHK

16. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I found this website that has information about Scripture memory, they also have free Scripture memory software available.

http://www.memoryverses.org/

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Not mentioned at this point is the buddy system.
    when in Bible school we had to memorize TONS of stupid Greek words and their conjugations.
    (I have short term memory loss due to past drug addiction)
    Memorization was nigh impossible for me. But when working with a "buddy" (my wife :D ) I found I was able to memorize the material quite quickly and retain it. (Praise God!)
    So, if you can get a buddy, and "bounce" Scriptures off of each other, I found this helped me tremendously. I still remember some of that Graak stuff, (ARRGGH!) though I rarely need it anymore.
    It has been said that the KJV is "better" for memorization. For whatever reason, this is definitely true.
    The other suggestions mentioned in this thread are also helpful, I would only add GET A BUDDY !
    In His service;
    Jim

18. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I write them down on index cards and read them throughout the day. Always repeat the book, chapter and verse after you read it.

19. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey People,

I really started trying to remember the book, chapter and verse for scripture that I was already really familiar with. In two days I've memorized six verses. Of course I already knew what they said, but couldn't remember the verse and chapter. Anyway, its not as hard as I thought it would be. Its sad that I've been a Christian for eight years and only knew five or six. Now I still read my Bible every night like I always did, but also take time just to study and learn specific verses. Its actually quite fun to me..

In Christ,

Brooks

20. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, and I did put a small tab of paper in my pocket with a few verses on it. I'm actually quite embarrassed I didn't do this sooner.