1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Men whom call themselves "Reverend"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Nov 25, 2014.

1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

aaha! I now get it..gowing older, yes I now agree, It is mandatory. Very true. (mark it down, someones opinion HAS been changed by this forum.

and secondly. Opinions are like armpits, everybody has them but some stink worse than other. ;)

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In our culture, we have terms of respect. Doctor for those who have earned a degree in a field that gives them this right. Reverend for those who have earned a degree or an ordination in this field that gives them the right. Mr. for those who are gentlemen above a certain age (13, I believe), Master for those boys who are under a certain age, Miss for unmarried young women, Mrs. for married women, Honorable for judges.....I think you get my drift. It's cultural. It's not something untoward.

3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Thank you for joining. I certainly believe you have the privileged to have your opinion as do I, mine. I would answer your comment by saying that "Reverend" is a term developed by the secular world to be attributed to something in the Spiritual world. The secular world should not try to help us with labels of "respect". The bible's writers do just fine. In the list of "some were given to...." Reverends is absent from the list , IMHO, just as it should be. Just like "Pope" is absent and should be.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re: Preachers who are called "Reverend" by the un-churched need to corrected.

Could you give an example of how you would go about correcting someone regarding the use of "Reverend" without insulting them, and then how you would swing it around to the gospel? Just a little two to four line script you might use? Because I see correcting people on this as a solution in search of a problem.

5. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Just as I posted above (I think I did). When I have been referred to or Introduced as Rev. , I smiled, made eye contact and said gently. Sir, I am no Reverend. The LORD ALMighty is the only one worthy of reverence. Jesus seemed to teach in Matthew that all of His will see each other simply as family. Like Brothers. Matter of Fact, if you look through the gospels you will see that "Brother" is the most often used term for those followers of Christ. Are You a follower of my Lord Jesus the Christ?

6. T Alan

T Alan New Member

after his response, I would either begin to share the truth of God's redemptive plan through Jesus or let Him know that because of Christ we are all on equal plane and no need to hold me above himself with the title reverend. just call me Brother T if necessary.

7. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Now doggone it that's funny!

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I have never referred to a preacher as rev or reverend and never will. There was a time when such usage was anathema to Baptists but now days some relish in that title!

Among most denominations I believe it is a hold over from Roman Catholicism. Baptists are just joining the crowd.