1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men's Fraternity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

RB, question for you. Your first post on this thread was,

It was immediately followed by these words from you:

I'm not arguing for or against it...but isn't it a bit harsh to "fight something tooth and nail," when you haven't even had a chance to fully understand what it is about?

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Probably a bit harsh. I have lumped it in with Promise Keepers and the myriad of other things modern churches throw at Christians in their programs. I have been to a promise keepers meeting.

When was the last gimmick...oh yes, the movie by Gibson "The Passion." that was supposed to change the whole world.....*chirp...chirp...*

3. ReformedBaptist

Ok, I retract my rhetoric "tooth and nail" and dumb it down to "oppose' I was "venting" sorry...

#23 ReformedBaptist, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the impression (when snooping the site) that reformed baptist ended up with. It looks like something that should be on an infomercial rather than in churches. The whole think looked "man" centered from what I saw even though it might be other than that in reality.

It may be a great series, but the way it is presented would steer me totally away from it.

And "I'm sorry you feel christian men need no further discipling" will take some verifying, since I didn't see that at all in RB's comments.

If the program works, you will have .......... You assume evidently that this will have some result. The question is will that result be something positive in your men or not? A question you can answer not this skeptic :thumbs:

IF God's word is His instruction to us for our lives then teaching His Word should suffice if we would do it - as opposed to teaching a course that uses His Word.

Hope I'm around in three years to see how it went :thumbs: Keep us posted as things progress and you get into the material.

5. ReformedBaptist

Your reply was better than mine. :praying:

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Alright everyone....throw away any books other than the Bible....including all of those reformers that you love to quote, and love to pretend died on the cross.

This comment is absurd.

7. ReformedBaptist

"love to pretend died on the cross." ????? That, sir, is the absurd comment.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

It was an exageration.

My point is that it is absurd to think that because someone is using a particular curriculum, whether you prefer the material, or not, that they are not relying on the sufficiency of Scripture. When in reality we all here discuss favorite authors, heros in the faith, and certain writings that are outside of Scripture...and there is nothing wrong with that.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been There, Done That, and Liked It

A few years back, we went through a similar program at our monthly men's breakfast. The theme was to strengthen the man, and how he treated his wife and children. We were taught the important of assuming the role of the Priest in our family, and the need to lead the family as Christ leads the church.

It's been a few years, but, I believe it had a tremendous affect on all of the younger men with families. I learned some things about me, and the need to be more like Jesus, in my retirement years.

It was a great program, and given a chance, you may truly benefit from this program. In fact, I'd love to hear your thoughts once the program ends.

I've always said, that I'll give the teaching programs of the church a chance. If you don't like it, or feel it's not for you, you can always exit through the door from which you came.

Best wishes,

Pastor Paul :type:

10. ReformedBaptist

Ok. I think I understand the exageration now...

Did I misunderstand the OP? I thought it was asked what folks thought of it or if they had been a part of it. I have no issue with exhorting one another to be like Christ and to teach men to love their wives, not provoke their children to wrath, to teach their house, et. That is biblical doctrine according to godliness.

My initial impression of the program, however, is a very well-done marketing program with a focus on man. It doesn't appear to be Christ-centered to me. I will be quite happy to be wrong.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have never heard of this, before now, but would note that a "Fraternity" is "Men's", by definition.

Ed

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This comment is absurd."

In your own mind but not humble opinion - correct :laugh:

My comment was no more absurd than your own, in my own mind of course :thumbs:

As to the reading of many books as is the case in many churches today, I'm not sure reading THE book wouldn't be the preferred.

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Of course there is well done marketing. It is by a publisher who is trying to run an effective ministry, yet still has a business side to it. Nothing wrong with well done marketing. There can be good, biblical content within the marketing just as much as there can be bad content.

14. ReformedBaptist

So you say.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

....and I say it having at least looked through the material we're talking about...:thumbs:

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Heh! Heh!

:thumbsup:

Is there a 'smilie' somewhere for "score one," "mark one down," or something similar? Does anyone know where one is found?

I thought I remembered one showing a player scoring a basket, but was unable to find it, so had to go with the 'slow' BB version of a 'thumbs up' smilie, here.

Ed

#36 EdSutton, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  17. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "....and I say it having at least looked through the material we're talking about..."

The course material or the website? If the material how did it look?

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I see no problem with its content. It is just as the website describes it, centering around what it means to be a Christian man (my words, not theirs).

I think it could be a good idea, especially for men that struggle having close relationships with other men. There are a lot of men out there who never reveal what struggles they are going through. That is just one reason why I think it could be beneficial.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The comments of it being "man centered" are ludicrous. The entire point of MF is to live our lives the way God intended. He created men and women different for a reason with different responsibilities and gifts. I can't believe anybody would have a problem with Christian men modeling their lives after Christ and God's design. Unbelievable...

20. ReformedBaptist

I deem thee "Master of Strawmen. Carry on.