1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men's Movement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jereynolds, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jereynolds

Jereynolds New Member

Just curious as to what the general opinion is on the growing men's movement within the church i.e. Wild at Heart, Band of Brothers...etc.

As a Christian are these ministries biblical, are they another distraction by the enemy or something else entirely?

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I've never heard of either, but I think men's ministries or groups are needed. We need Christian men to be as excited about biblical issues as they are about the score of the Dodgers/Padres game. Which by the way is 3 to 3 in the ninth.

3. Jereynolds

Jereynolds New Member

Wild at Heart is ministry centered around John Eldredge and his teachings while Band of Brothers was started by someone else but along the same lines as Wild at Heart. I believe they both teach that alot of men have what they call a father wound and as such do not see themselves as true men or as masculine. Anyway, I agree that there is definately a need for mens groups within the Church and a need for men to actually be men, both at home and in church.

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, seems like within Christianity over the past few decades men have been wimpified.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Time will tell if those organizations will survive.

A few years ago, the Promise Keepers movement captured the imagination of a lot of Christian men. It's still around, but in my area it is barely on the radar, if at all.

The goals are noble. But I am always leery of movements which organize across denominational lines and independently of the local church.

I know nothing of Wild at Heart and Band of Brothers, but I wish them well.

6. Jereynolds

Jereynolds New Member

They are not really as popular around my area either but at the same time I have done a search (via internet) to different Baptist churches around where I live and while their is often good information and programs for children, youth and women there seems to be a lacking for men besides a quarterly "Wild Game Dinner" (Im in the South :smilewinkgrin:) on occasion.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

A big fat amen from me on that!

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I am not familiar with the Band of Brothers one. If its like Wild at Heart then its way short on Scripture and is little more than a self-help touchy feely emotional reaction to the wimpification of the Gospel and Christian men.

We need the bold and pure Gospel preached. We need men to be men and be so in a biblical way, not in a pseudo-intelectual "I feel that..." way.

9. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somebody help me out here. I've been searching for the phrase Man Up in my study Bible and can't seem to find it. I searched for the word Manly and couldn't find that either. I must be missing something. All I can find is verses like....

because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY."
    1 Peter 1:16 NASB

:confused: