1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mental illness and the Baptist Chuch

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am assuming you are speaking of when someone with a diagnosed mental illness commits a crime and justice is called for. If that is the case can you show me anyplace in the bible where God makes a distinction between someone who has a so called mental condition and some one who does not and that we are to deal with them differently in regards to justice? I hold that if a person knows enough to do a crime then they know enough to be held accountable and to suffer the consequences of that crime.
    In other words I do not believe that mental illness and that is a very broad term, makes their actions not their fault and them not accountable. Sin is always a willful choice.

#21 freeatlast, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

One of my best friends in high school was dx'ed as manic depressant (I guess he would be called bi-polar now). I could tell when he hadn't taken his lithium. I don't know how many nights we were up all night, walking who knows how many miles around town, in his manic states. I also don't know how many times I "talked him down" from his low times. He has always been pretty straight forward about his health issues and his meds. He was also straight up about his actions, taking responsibility for them, and at many times was a better man than me back then.

Now my sons and I volunteer with Special Olympics, and we enjoy it a great deal. There is no reason anyone needs to be treated with anything but respect and dignity. Typically when you get to know the individual you will learn what they are capable of understanding and how to help them make better choices according to their ability. We need to be honest and admit that many of us use our conditions as an excuse for our behavior. I know my period of depression related to my own health issues included that kind of self pity and excuse making. Mind you, I am not proud of that time period. I am thankful for a gracious God, devoted family, and people brave enough to tell me I was acting like an idiot and that I needed to pull my head from my fourth point of contact.

3. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I never mentioned a crime, nor was I implying that people with mental illnesses are not accountable for what they do. Read the rest of the thread, and then apologise.

What i am talking about is how some christians treat people with mental illnesses.

It looks like you are one of the uneducated, insensitive people i was talking about.

John

4. seekingthetruth

Amen Brother!

John

5. seekingthetruth

Before I started the lithium, i would go for several weeks at a time with only 1 or 2 hours of restless sleep a night. After a couple of weeks of that a person is worn out, frustrated, irritable and just plain miserable. I would start projects in the middle of the night but never finish them.

Then after that would come the big crash. All of a sudden i am sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day, dont want to do anything, not even eat or shower. No motivation whatsoever. And that makes you miserable after a while also. It is frustrating to the point of suicide.

Thankfully, there were periods of levelness, but they never lasted more than a couple of months.

Now, with the lithium, the episodes are not nearly as severe, and the fact that now i know what is wrong gives me something to fight against, so yes, life is much better.

John

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I really do not know what you are talking about as I was simply responding the the OP and not reading every post after to get any different understanding. However I think that you prove my point. You use your metal illness to get special treatment and even think it justifies insults and no response. So any treatment you get you most likely bring on yourself and you need to stop trying to make others feel they are to blame for your actions.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

John, don't take FAL's remarks personally. He treats everybody that way. I almost left the board over something he said to me. It's just the way he is.

Regarding the OP, my son has dealt with mental issues since he was a child. It was very difficult on me because his father was no help at all. He only denied he had a problem and said he just needed more discipline. So I was left to deal with it alone. He's been on meds since he was 14 and I truly believe he would be dead without them. I know from experience it is real and no different than any other physical disease that needs treatment. One of the most important things to do is recognize you have a problem and you have done that so :thumbsup: to you! Keep up the good work!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

And Amy is the way she is.

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

(side note: the ignore feature on BB works well)

10. seekingthetruth

Then maybe you should read all of the posts before you make assumptions. You know what they say about assuming? Well, this time it made an a** out of you but not me....for once.

This is what I am talking about. You sterotype me with your preconcieved ideas.

But I would bet that you are too dogmatic about your sterotypes to even try to educate yourself.

John

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you know Gerry, In all seriousness....you need to lighten up.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

NO, you need to make the OP clear. if you mean something other then what is suggested then you need to correct it. However Like I said you seem to want to use your mental illness as an excuse to be ugly. You real heart is showing as no drug can cover it up. You need to stop blaming others for your actions.

13. seekingthetruth

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

apparently the OP was clear to everyone....but you.

imagine that

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, I made no personal attack.I just gave an honest answer to the OP with no slander at all. Other's started it with absolutely no provocation and now they want to whine.

#34 freeatlast, Apr 24, 2012
  15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If FAL reads his Bible like he read the OP, it's little wonder he thinks he can go extended periods witbout sinning.;)

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

FAL, you're acting ridiculous as usual.

John,

Thanks for bringing up the topic. Unfortunately I've seen many Christians treat others poorly who weren't as fortunate, and I've seen it again in this thread.

That, and you're my favorite 'regular' Christian. :laugh: :thumbsup:

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If arbo would read the bible then he would know he is in big trouble. ;)

19. seekingthetruth

Preacher, when you and I debate God's sovereignty, this is one thing i cannot ignore.....i am alive today, and have a better life because God granted it to me. He gave it to me in spite of me and not because of me, and it is up to me to keep my end of the deal.

John

20. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, I'll bite.

Big trouble how, pray tell?

#40 Arbo, Apr 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.