1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 3, 2009.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why do you say Christ is no longer in Christmas because that holiday is now "secularized"? I don't understand.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Because whether a store uses the phrase "Season", "Holiday" or "Christmas", Christ isn't in shopping malls purchases, isn't in store displays, isn't on shelves, isn't at checkout counters, and isn't in advertizing.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. Thank you for clarifying.

I think the main reason why the "happy holidays" greeting bothers some of us is not because we object to the phrase by itself, but because we are tired of seeing our freedoms erode while our Christian brothers and sisters stand idly by and pander to the PC crowd. It is heartwrenching to see what America is becoming, and sadder still to see that Christians don't seem to care anymore.

While saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" may seem like a small thing, it shows the direction in which we are headed. We would do well to heed the warning signs. Satan wants to silence us Christians in every way possible, and he's using the PC crowd to accomplish that goal. Today, it's the schools teaching "diversity." Tomorrow, it could mean closing down a church for "offending" someone with political incorrectness.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're welcome.
    Personal freedoms are not dictated by how private businesses advertize.
    So, is that what it's come down to? If a Christian isn't bothered by "Happy Holidays", then they "don't care" about the erosion of personal freedoms? That's an incredibly huge leap.
    We would do better to wield discernment. If every store in American ceased using "Happy Holidays" and started using "Merry CHristmas" instead, Christ would not be any more present.
    So did the Puritans who came to establish the Plymouth Colony.
    Talk about an incredible stretch! A perfect example of why discernment needs to be practiced more.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but to me it seemed logical.

#105 abcgrad94, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! :applause:

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's no connection between what how a private business advertizes and personal freedoms. To claim such a link exists makes the Christian witness look like buffoonery.
    Is that what it's come to? Insulting members of the brethren to make your point? I didn't know you were capable of being that infantile. Especially you of all people, for whom I have great respect.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't trying to insult you, Johnv, and I'm sorry if I came accross that way. I will edit my post.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, don't bother. Not necessary. Knowing you weren't trying to insult is sufficient. I'd rather engage in discussions of disagreement and grow, rather than engage in no discussion and remain stagnant.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A mere poor attempt at rhetoric through semantic ambiguity; I said nothing about the Christmas season being a doctrine, but addressed that time as one “in season”. I clearly used “in season” as meaning an opportune time, referenced to and addressed in 2Tim 4:2, post #81. I also spelled out the responsibilities pertaining to being instant in preaching the Word, “defense” if you like, and the warnings from within the rest of that biblical passage.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is a small God who can be removed by people not using a trite phrase like "Merry Christmas". Besides, who even uses the word "merry" anymore in everyday speech?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Exactly. Maybe I have been gone from America too long, but I am amazed that people are so meant out of shape because the world will not bend to the church's preferences.

'Say Merry Christmas to me! DON'T you dare say Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, or Happy Eid al-Adha!'

Who do Christians think we are that the world should treat us special? Jesus told us just the opposite!

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Several of the churches I have been in at Christmas time also don't allow them. If we did not meet in a community centre I doubt that we would have one.

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I usually ignore them or say "Merry Christmas".