1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Message from God - What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, let me clear this up then. :laugh:

I didn't say it was wrong. Just that it seems sarcastic. That's what I don't like about it. I actually think the sign in the OP appeals more to believers than non believers.

I also have a personal thing with some of these God signs. For instance, I don't like the one that says "don't make me come down there". But that's just me. Maybe it has a good affect on someone else, so I can't say it's "wrong".

My mind works in a weird, picky sort of way. When I see "don't make me come down there", I immediately think...He already came down here and nobody would listen. Next time He comes it will be too late.

Anyhoo, it's just the way my brain works vs. the way someone else's works. No disagreement really. :)

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs:

Again, checking to see if Rippon is performing his duty today with respect to my :thumbs: I would have given more, but it was limited.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The passage speaks to God having given all judgement to the Son. In came to pronounce judgement upon Himself for the sins of men; therefore, He did not judge men (except for the Pharisees & defilers of the temple) while on earth. He is still reaching out through His written word & the Holy Spirit, not looking for sinners to judge. He will preside over the final judgement of all unbelievers, but until then He is reaching out in love to all men. That bumper sticker gives unbelievers a false understanding of who Christ is & of what He wants. Judgmental, legalistic churches remake Jesus into their own faultfinding image. This is why I stay away from catchy slogans; they are often tainted by the writer's personal views.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Any gospel that does not include both is only half a gospel. But I have yet to see anything in the signs quoted that suggested that.

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

It is matter of focus & priority. MANY churches focus on the negatives of the Law with scant references to the deeper truths of Christ's sacrifice. When the preaching of judgement against all who disagree, cancel a service, dress improperly, listen to non-hymnal music, etc. is the overwhelming priority, then the heart of the people is revealed. Jesus said the world will know we are His by our love for one another; not by our judgement of others & "better than thou" standards. These signs are an indication of a deeper problem.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Do you have any specific examples. I have been to a lot of churches over the years. I have yet to see one of these. There are some fringe elements out there like the folks who claim to be baptist but can hardly claim to be Christian with their behavior towards homosexuals and the military. Can't think of their name right off hand.

Anyway judgment and grace need to always be preached hand in hand. It is in equal error to leave one or the other out.

7. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

I definitely agree that there are some churches that preach almost exclusively about Gods judgment and wrath to the exclusion of grace and mercy. As another poster mentioned this is only half the Gospel. Equally true though is that it is only half the Gospel to preach nothing BUT grace and mercy. God will judge and condemn sinners and this needs to be made clear. The Gospel is two sides of the same coin and to leave out one side gives a tainted and misleading view of who God is and what He will do.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is, in my opinion, an excellent commentary on the issue. Well done.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The issue here is that these signs, especially the one I mentioned, don't serve as an impetus for real introspection and heart change. I see them as reflecting a deep heart issue on behalf of believers that says combative, minute soundbites are the way to witness.

That's what I find to be disturbing.

Not to mention that the Ten Commandments are God's gracious and merciful law to his people.

Also, notice the difference between the words "commandment" and "command." They are not one and the same. The Ten Commandments are gracious revelation telling us what a regenerated life should look like. Instead of saying "don't do this," they say, "because you love me, you will do this."

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a very good post, but I would suggest that the two parts, instead of being sides of a coin, are intertwined and inclusive of each other. Love is the unifying element.

Additionally, I believe that this sign represents God's righteous anger as a purely human emotion, which of course, is a problem.