1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Messianic prophecies

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Charles Meadows, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

If any of you can get your hands on "The Lord's Annointed" by Philip Satterthwaite your bookshelf will thank you!! Definitely one of the best 10 books on theology I've read. It's out of print and hard to find. Probably have to scan ABE Books and Bibliofind.com!! Some things ARE worth having though!!!

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found it at Amazon

The Lord's Anointed
    Interpretation of Old Testament Messianic Texts

Edited by Philip E. Satterthwaite, Richard S. Hess, and Gordon J. Wenham
    Paternoster Press, 1995
    x + 320 pages, English
    Paper
    ISBN: 0853646856
    <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0801020875/ref=dp_more-buying-choices_2//103-0858962-5116636?condition=all" target="_blank">

$$$$Click here for the price$$$$$</a>

I think I'll pass on this one [​IMG]

Rob

3. Charles Meadows

I paid $25 - but I'd have paid much more if I'd had to!

4. aefting

aefting New Member

How is it better or different from Kaiser's The Messiah in the OT or Hengstenberg's Christology of the OT?

Andy

5. Charles Meadows

I've found Kaiser to be very traditional. He seems to tow the line of "this one is a messianic prophecy but this one is not".

Hengstenberg sees many of the "prophecies" as first referring to their own locus in context and then doubly to Christ in some cases.

Satterthwaite et al (the book is a series of essays by Satterthwaite, Gordon Wenham, Knute Heim, Gordon McConnville, Gordon Hugenberger, Philip Johnston and some others) paint a nice picture of the overall messianic hope of the ENTIRE OT beginning with Gen 3:15. To find certain predictive "messianic prophecies" interspersed through OT narratives is a little forced. All of these passages have roots in their current situations. Consider Psalm 72, likely written by David for Solomon, not specifically about Christ. But still it reflects the hope that some day God WILL rule over Israel with that perfect righteousness. Each new king brings that hope - followed by the realization that each will not be that messiah.

Very comprehensive and extremely well-written and foot-noted.