1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Methods for Memorization/Becoming Familiar with Scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of Scripture Memory methods do you use?
    What kind of Study Habits and Methods do you use?

Here's a method I am currently using to memorize/become familiar with the book of Ecclesiastes.

I have taken the book of Ecclesiastes and I attempt to memorize it one verse a day.

here's how I do it.

I read the Chapter of whatever verse I am on for the day. I also read another chapter from the same book, for example today I am on Chapter 10, but today I read chapter 4 as well (tonight I
    ll jump to chapter 5, when I get to the end, I start the process over again with chapter 1.). that way it helps me to get the whole view of the book, I then after reading the chapters I will read my verse for the day for about 10 minutes over and over and over again. I do this process when I wake up and before I go to sleep. I do not retain all the verses perfectly but it is helping me to really understand the book as whole. The verse by verse method really helps me to examine the verses in detail. and reading the chapter of my verse for the day gives me it's context with the chapter. and reading through the book consecutively in chapters really helps me get it in the context of the whole book. I am finding this to be a fantastic method, it does take time, but I believe it's helpful. Once I finish I'll have probably read every verse in the book about 40 times. I highly recommend this method.

Hope this makes sense. do you guys understand the method?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got my teen group "starting small." We're working through Proverbs, and they're memorizing a main theme for each chapter. This way they'll at least be able to remember which chapter a verse or passage is from, and can look up the rest. Once they've got that pattern down, we're going to work on chapter sections; then verses.