Michael Medved said....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Salty, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

... "In the entertainment industry, you have to have your emotions constantly available to you...and a town that operates n emotional self-manipulation will lean to the left".
    -Michael Medved

Thoughts?

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

Actors are often shallow people. They play parts and then have no real self seemingly.

Personally, I think that it is custom and tradition. For example, one of the things that has bothered me for over 40 years is the inability of the theatrical community to present Shakespeare consistently as it would have been presented in his lifetime. It has been done a little on film. Shakespeare has been subjected to a wide variety of fashions in literary criticism from the Freudian critics to the communists so that his work is often slanted to drive the audience to a critic's conclusions. American university theatrical critics are often very poorly educated and so they become hacks driving points of view. Broadway and the legitimate stage are now secondary to what they were even 50 years ago. Movies have replaced theatre. One of the latest leftist waste of money in the presentation of Shakespeare was to take Coriolanus and gut it of the philosophical speeches to present it as entirely an action film. Needless to say, it was boring and a failure. Yet there is a school of thought that Shakespeare was a Christian and his work has to be understood by a Christian viewpoint.

In mild defense of the actors, I would note that they themselves are often forced to act in a certain manner by producers and directors in order to earn a paycheck.

Great art does not soapbox but American art has often been captured by social and political schools of thought. Medved is correct that American acting is emotional--it is called method acting. So I have to agree with Medved that when performances become emotional, logic is cast aside and actors become emotional offstage as well. Our actors become so rich that they are followed just for their wealth and flair making them think, like all rich, that they really know something when often they don't.

American artistic contributions to the world are mostly in the movies but we have been present in all the arts if not dominate. There is American music, painting, novels, poetry, and theatre. Personally, I think that we need artistic contributions from Evangelical and Fundamentalist Christians but they have often turned their backs on the arts as corrupt and outside the church. However, the Western World has produced Christian music, Christian painting, Christian novels, Christian poetry, and Christian theatre and movies. Bill Bright's movie Jesus is a passion play seen by hundreds of millions.