1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,339589,00.html

Here is where liberals expose themselves. They on one hand "proclaim" that increase in taxes do not slow down the economy. On the other hand they want to increase taxes to slow down aspects of our economy. Sorry can't have it both ways.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I'm in the 48 percent who don't want to pay a penny more. I can't afford to spend a ton of money on gas. I don't go on random trips. Both cars in my family are 4-cylinder cars. I'm doing everything I can, and he wants to punish me more? Psh.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm sure he will be voted in for another term. What an dud!!

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Yeah, let's do like Michigan and then we can all be begging for jobs like their residents are. Michigan is one of the most depressed places there is to live in right now. High taxes, poor accountability and they want us to follow them? LOL!

Let the Michigan representative fix the problems in his own backyard before he makes more for me!

5. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

You know, if they wanted everyone to sit down and figure out how many gallons of gas they would require in a year to get to/from work, to/from grocery stores, etc., to/from doctor visits, etc.....then round it up and "pad it a bit" to allow for emergencies.....and then put an extra tax on anything ABOVE THAT, then I MIGHT could understand it.

Most people that I know --this is all they can afford to do NOW. If gas keeps going up and up--regardless of whether it's a price hike by OPEC or a tax by a numbskull politician--we'll have to cut back OTHER THINGS, NOT gas consumption. It takes me exactly the same amount of gallons to drive to work, whether it's $2.00 a gallon or $4.00 a gallon. I don't live in a big city; don't have buses that can run me around in mass transit; can't carpool and get done what I need to do. So adjustments to MY LIFESTYLE, not my gas tank input would be required....and by "lifestyle", I mean choosing between buying gas to get to work---or NOT going to work--or buying medicine, or NOT buying medicine....etc. These politicians need to try to live on the budget MOST Americans are forced to work with, and perhaps they'd think before they come up with these "brilliant" plans. I'm all for conservation.....but I'm not the one jetting all over America or running up and down the road for "funsies".

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, that sounds like John Dingell, he has been way out there for years.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently even this Michigan Congressman knows more taxes curbs the economy.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whether or not he is a dud, is up to the beholder, I guess.

But it would seem that his constituents do not view him as such.

He has represented the 15th District of MI for more than 52 years, since Dec. 13, 1955, following a special election to fill the vacant seat where his father had died. His father had represented the people for 22 years, thus father and son together, have an unequalled record of Congressman Dingell representing MI 15/16/15 since Jan. 1933. He is currently the longest serving member of the House, and within a year of becoming the longest serving member ever, in the House. He was unopposed in his last election.

Ed

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Dingell's hobbies include taking money from productive citizens and giving it to unproductive citizens.

hmmmmm....and folks wonder why Michigan's economy is in the toilet. :rolleyes:

What an absolutely moronic idea during this time of $3.75 gas.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

To say that one person speaks for all "liberals" is like saying Fred Phelps speaks for all Baptists. Can we infer, RM, that you thank God for dead soldiers and for IEDs?

#10 Magnetic Poles, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  11. billwald

billwald New Member

I want a $1/gal tax to pay for the oil war. If we don't pay for it now then who should pay for it when?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the cost of the Iraq War should be paid for by an income tax surcharge on everyone earning over $200.000 per year. The rich benefit more from this nation than anyone else. Let the professional athletes and actors and CEOs pay for it.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course....I forgot: it's the poor folks that always give me a job. :rolleyes:

Ken, the more you post, the less I believe you ever had a shred of libertarian tendencies.