1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michigan Quickly Becoming New Muslim State?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Nov 27, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The above explains an interesting experience I had many years ago. I worked with an engineer of Chinese extraction. A brilliant engineer and really fine fellow. On one occasion we were discussing, not debating, something really of no consequence. Each time I used the expression "I believe" he would counter with: "You are trying to force your beliefs on me"! I thought it strange.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

It is a shame that many immigrants of today don't have the same desire for their family to "Americanize". Years ago immigrant parents wanted their children to become as American as the children of other families.

And this is not exclusive to just Muslims, but also many other cultures as well. I don't know exactly what changed, maybe it is something in the process of allowing them into the country that has changed? I don't really know why, but it is different now.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And yet, I live next door to a Muslim family that is more red white and blue than many native borns I know, who don't even know how many branches of government there are.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

And that is why I said many and not all. But overall there definitely now a difference than there used to be in the way immigrants assimilate.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are correct. The country is becoming Balkanized.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point.
    Not so sure. Italian immigrants were accused of the same. Jewish immigrants were accused of them same. Asian immigrants were accused of the same. It seems it's a common concern (and a valid one) whenever this country gets a mass wave of immigrants of a specific ethnicity. Typically the first generation doesn't assimilate much. But by the time the second generation of that ethnicity comes around, it has fully assimilated. The only exception is with illegal immigrants. I remember a local university study that said it took illegal immigrants an additional generation to assimilate (if I can find that study, I'll post it here). Anyhoo, that's a bit off topic. With Middle Eastern populations currently immigrating (such as Iraqis and Afghanis), there will be a lot of examples of those first generations not assimilating much. But when you look at Persian immigrants (which immigrated from Iran when the Shah was deposed), you'll see that they are now in their second generation, and that generation is well assimilated.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>Each time I used the expression "I believe" he would counter with: "You are trying to force your beliefs on me"! I thought it strange.

"Force" is to strong in this context. There is no point to continue the conversation unless you wanted him to consider your beliefs as accurately describing the situation. Maybe you meant to convey that you were expressing a personal opinion? Personally, I think evangelical Christians sometimes fail to differentiate between expressing an opinion and affirming dogma.

Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion. The person described as "the Buddha" never claimed to be more than a . . . sensei. Buddhism might be considered a religion in the same sense as some saying that atheism is a religion. "If atheism is a religion then 'bald' is a hair color." <G>

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Too bad you are incapable of understanding when you are looking at an anti-Christian worldview.

Of course, that figures...

#48 rbell, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree, and that ties in with my original point.

But I view todays immigrants as having a less fervent attitude for their children to "Americanize" as those of past generations.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't know if that's truly an accurate view, or if it's a matter of perception. It also depends on what one means by "Americanization". Since there is no one specific "American culture", that can be hard to quantify.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And in fact in many cases, more than not, they are anti-American.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Just Have to Say....

A M E N !!!

I would never expect immigrants to forget their culture and leave everything from their past behind. However, here in California, they are now making street, road and highway signs in both English and Spanish.

I get my weekly store advertisements, and most of the time they are 100% Spanish...

What used to be just weekends is now mostly every day. The Spanish families fly the Republic of Mexico flag and with their garage doors wide open, their homeland/native to them music blasts through my closed up windows and doors, while their sub-woofers shake and knock things off my shelves.

Mexican hot food vendors [without health license and city food permits] operate out of every vacant lot along major roadways. There are now so many that the police and health department officials don't even try to stop them any longer. The police even stop by to get a free cup of coffee and a donut.

What the government hasn't capitulated too in making it comfortable for the immigrants to feel at home, those who now call America their new home are working their collective rear-ends off to change and transform into a form of their old home land.

This is NOT assimilation to Americanism...and you can bet your last dollar that I will NOT assimilate to their culture.

Immigrants today [not all, not even a large portion of them] seem to want us to assimilate their cultures, and this is totally wrong. But, if the government doesn't put an end to it, we will be like France and other European countries that are now being overcome by their immigrants.

I love this country, and I don't want it to become foreign to me!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul:type:

13. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask the wife the other night if she wanted to go to the Spanish cafe and have a whopper :thumbs:

Had to point at pictures at the Jack in the Box the other day to get my breakfast.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a Shame!!!

My wife would like to take an international cruise...I ask her why, when we have all the perks right here in our local community [without the possibility of a tidal wave turning the ship over and up-side-down]?

Then I read where our City Council wants to use a city Redevelopment Funds, general fund taxes and Block Grants to turn four city blocks into an open air "Mercado"...including a stage and dance floor for weekend Mexican music, and lots of dosXX's.:wavey:

Of course I love Mariachi Brass Band Music, so I may go to the Mercado when a good Mariachi band is scheduled. Heck! I may even purchase a few genuine Mexican tacos [the kind that aren't from Taco Bell].:laugh:

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, yesterday I went to see my son receive an award in school, and many other children received awards as well. One young man must have been Muslim, he had the head covering (not sure of the name) they wear. It was huge, bright red with glitter on it. I actually felt bad for the fellow, he stuck out like a sore thumb. The rest of his clothes were quite normal clothes that kids in America wear everyday. So, it is hard to say what will happen.

I work with a fellow from Yemen, he is a nice fellow and very hard working. He will work any hours he is allowed, this fellow would work a straight 24 hour shift no problem, I have always been impressed with his work ethic. He and another fellow bought a gas station in town, so he has two full time jobs. He is not very outspoken about his faith, but he definitely hates the Jews and thinks their land should be given to the Palestinians, I had a conversation with him one day on this subject. But he is divorced from his first wife who still lives in Yemen with his children (he has 9) and married an American girl.

He was allowed to come here as a political refugee, because of religious extremists in his country. He had served in the Army for over 20 years and said he would have been imprisoned or executed if he had not left his country.

So, he is quiet and does not cause any problems, but if you bring up certain topics like the wars in the Middle East or Israel, he can become very agitated quickly.

#55 Winman, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
  16. billwald

billwald New Member

Shalom?

Learn to speak American. <G>

17. targus

targus New Member

If you were to actually read the posts - you would see that he is writing in English.

BTW - there is no such thing as "speaking American".

We predominantly speak "English" in America.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

heck, learning how many brances of government there are and becoming more papist than the pope (more red white and blue) can be learned by almost everybody.
    The question is are they with you or are they against you ?

In the Philippines (if it means anything) the Japanese were bread vendors riding on bikes, or storeowners selling Filipino cupcakes and ginger drinks for a long time before Pearl Harbor.

Heck, they even had Filipino wives and loved and played native songs....until Pearl Harbor.
    Then timed to the Japanes attack on Manila, every Japanese in the Philippines suddenly came out wearing Japanese uniforms as each Jap unit marched into the town where they were "assimilated".

What am I saying ?

Nothing seems to be what it appears to be, and the only Person I trust is Jesus.

19. billwald

billwald New Member

>We predominantly speak "English" in America.

We watch BBC mysteries and sometimes have trouble with their English.

You probably speak American Television. 50 years ago a person from Maine would have needed a translator to talk to a person from Alabama. Since national TV most young people speak TV talking head.

20. targus

targus New Member

You are confusing "accents" with "language".

Your hypothetical persons in Maine and Alabama would have both been speaking the English language with differen accents.