1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Microsoft is ....

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I still have XP and 2000 on my Mac but I rarely use them. I could use Vista as well but I don't have a copy and I am not about to pay for one when I have no need for it.
    The only Windows program that gets used on a regular basis around here is a time program my wife uses for work and she runs that in 2k in Parallels.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I downloaded that a few years ago. As I recall it wa designed to run on a mini CD which is, I think 130+ MB or somthing like that.
    It was ok but nothing like an Ubuntu Live CD which are great.,
    Ubuntu is actually a good system.
    I really prefer Gnome to KDE and wish I could rut it (Gnome) on this laptop.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I run XP in Parallels as well so that I can use my Logos Bible software (they are have been incredibly slow in getting the Mac version out:BangHead: ).

I have had some troubles with Parallels since I upgraded to Leopard. I get a kernal failure sometimes when I try to start up the virtual machine, plus when I search update to Parallels the status bar never fills. Have you or your wife ever experienced this or do you use Tiger still?

4. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. I'm running XP and it works fine. Why waste the money?

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why!!!! To get Bill back on top of the Forbes list - he got bumped out this year! :laugh:

With Walmart and Sears and many online companies selling linux computers now we may see him get another bump or two.

6. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I would have stayed with WIN 98, but I found it would start acting funny after about 6 months with blue screen of death etc and would require a full reload of the OS and applications. :BangHead:

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I just loaded PCLinuxOS on this machine. Works great so far, and loads and shuts down far faster than Vista did.

8. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I bought a refurbished computer. It had Vista but would not hook up to the internet.

The tech support from my internet provider said this is a problem with Vista sometimes. He tried but could not help me.

Finally I have an 'excuse' to switch to Linux!!! ...not that an excuse should be needed!

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We had a lot of problems after upgrading to Leopard with Parallels. You need to manually download the latest version and it works fine.