1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Microsoft Open Licensing for Charitable Orgs

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hardsheller, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone ever taken advantage of Microsoft's Open Licensing pricing for Charitable Organizations?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Never heard of it ... what do you know about it??

3. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

See the following link for Microsoft Open License program for Charitable Organizations. This info is from Lifeway in Nashville.

Licensing for Charitable Orgs.

4. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I work for Insight, a worldwide reseller of computers and computer related products. In fact, I work with software licensing. What questions can I answer for you.

5. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Can you give us some idea of the price we as churches would have to pay for the following Microsoft products through the charitable licensing program?

Office Professional
    Windows XP PRO
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Frontpage
    MapPoint 2004

6. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

windows licensing is only available as an upgrade... not a full product.

also I am providing our part numbers and list prices..
    for formal quotes call 800- INSIGHT and talk to either Jerry Heath ext 5057 or Inez Powell ext 6406. Tell them John at the licensing desk sent you and they will do all they can to get you non-profit pricing on any or all products . They specialize in working with churches. Both are practicing Christians and I am sure they will give the best pricing they can.

We have over 20 vendors they work with to get discounted pricing for churches. here is a list ( it is old so there may have been changes) of vendors who offer special pricing for non-profit orgs.
    ACT!
    Brother
    Cisco
    Corel
    Computer Associates - GLP Program
    Crystal Reports
    Executive Software
    Filemaker
    Infocus/Proxima (projectors)
    JASC
    Macromedia
    Microsoft - Charity Open
    Mitsubishi Projectors
    Network Associates - Education skus and pricing
    Sharp - projectors
    SonicWall
    Sony - Cameras and Projectors
    Watchguard

Office Professional
    MS26906807 OFFICE PRO 2003 ENG CHR-6.0 61.99

Windows XP PRO
    MS545322 CHARITY WINDOWS PRO XP UPG 6 65.99

Windows 2000 Pro (this would be the xp pro license and use of the 2000 disk. they are downgradeable?backward compliant)

Frontpage
    MS39202304 FRONTPAGE 2003 ENG CHR-6.0 46.99

MapPoint 2004
    MSB2100406 MAPPOINT 2004 ENG CHR-6.0 92.99

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

"J"

So, in order to take advantage of the charity licensing a church would either already have to have a 'legal' copy, or, would have to buy a discounted product first?

Does Insight also sell full products?

For most of us Office 97 will do fine. *IF* we could still get legal copies of it.

Why does a church need licensing in the first place? Especially when most of the software comes pre-loaded on new computers? What advantage is there? I am at a loss here.

8. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

commonly the oem versions cost much more than the charity versions of the same product. Oem however is less expensive than the full retail shrinkwrap. MS has this presupposition that when you get a pc, it will have an OS loaded on it.

As far as the full products yes we have all of MS product line.

You can run office 97 with open charity licensing for the current office product...

As far as why do you even need licensing... Because MS would like to be paid for the use of their intellectual property. Charity is deeply discounted and is really a great price as opposed to any other pricing programs MS offers.

9. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

J.

Thanks for answering my questions:

However,
    What I wanted to be clear about was that because for most purposes even a charity is considered a 'for profit' business for Copyright and Licensing Purposes..

And, I wanted to make sure there were no 'gotchas' when using pre-loaded software in a 'business' setting.

Doesn't make sense that it would... But...

10. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

no gotchas
    just that every user of most software products must have a legal license.

11. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I placed our church's order today with the company that is working with the Southern Baptist Purchasing Program. I bought 4 Microsoft products with a retail value of $1500 for $366.

What a Blessing!

12. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Yup... they are definately well below the normal list prices. Remember there are a number of companies that offer special pricing on their products for non-profit orgs. I reccomend that everyone take advantage of these offerings to meet their needs. And remember the industry is very competetive. Shop the bids. You could save a few dollars that way. I work in the industry and know just how hard we fight each other for the business.

13. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Our Church now has the software licenses from Microsoft and everything went smoothly.

Now we just need to get some new computers! :D

14. superdave

superdave New Member

Or you can buy a decent Office product for $69 retail

Check Office Depot or search online for Star Office 7, that is what I use, and it handles even Office docs very well, even old formats that new MOffice doesn't like.

I have no problem with Microsoft charging for their IP, it is after all how the Tech industry drives new technologies, but their monopolistic business practices and their presumtion that theirs is the only desktop, makes me wonder if churches should be using any software by Microsoft. I mean, if Baptists are going to boycott Disney...

15. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Sorry Superdave,

But as long as the majority of our volunteers in the church use Microsoft Office Products at work then we will use them at the Church.

We don't have a budget for training volunteers in the use of new technology.

Regardless of Microsoft's perceived policies and business practices, they are still offering Churches a great deal through the Charity Licensing program.

16. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I must agree with Hardsheller. I make a living dealing with numerous software vendors and their licensing programs. MS charity is the easiest and by far the most deeply discounted program out there. There is some software which seems to be less expensive, but often compatibility and training issues arise.
    If you have the time or incentive to train your folks to use the staroffice product, then it can be a bargain. However, the industry standard is MS Office. So the majority of users and organizations will continue to use it and the competitors will continue to compare themselves to MS products.

17. superdave

superdave New Member

I think you would find very little retraining necessary, the interface is very similar, the menus are layed out in the same way, and I have yet to find anything that MSOffice can do that StarOffice cannot,

StarOffice can also output pdf files, and can save files in microsoft formats, as well as several other generic formats like rtf, etc.

Sun's goal with their new Java Desktop, as well as StarOffice is to make the User Interface so close to Windows that there are only advantages to switching, not headaches around user adoption

I used Office for years, and switched to StarOffice with no training or manuals

18. Anthro

Anthro New Member

Thanks, all. This is really good info.

I think we probably would be surprised how many IT companies have such programs. Here is Adobe's:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/philanthropy/software.html

However, if anyone needs to make just good PDFs for free, they can download GhostScript, GhostView, and Redmon. Setup is not for the beginner, but once it is set up, it is as easy as pressing CTL + P.

BTW, OpenOffice.org and StarOffice is, in fact, very easy to learn, and presents very little learning curve to users of MS Office.

Can you tell I have become quite a good through the years at nicely equipping a computer for free? ;) [​IMG]

19. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Still happy with our purchase in spite of all the negativity toward Microsoft.

Outlook 2003 is great.

Three things so far have made my life easier with Outlook 2003.

1. Spam Mail Catcher. I am receiving about 250 Spam emails per day and Outlook 2003 dumps about 96% of them into a Junk Email Folder for easy management.

2. I can publish my calendar straight to my church's web site. It's easy and simple.

3. Contact manager is a breeze to work with and has greatly simplified managing my address book.